Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! Transmission problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scott73, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Scott73

Scott73 Registered Member

I have an '87 Blazer and I just put a 4" lift and 33s on it this weekend. It has 3.08 gears and my 4.11s came in today. I drove it around town with no problems and then I drove it on the highway for about 25 miles yesterday. When I slowed down, it wouldn't down shift into first. When I manually shifted into first, it didn't want to shift to second. When the rpms got really high, it finally would shift. I drove it today and its still shifting hard to second at high rpms and not wanting to down shift to first. So, did I overheat the transmission or could it be anything else? I did check the fluid level and it was okay. Should I try a filter and fluid change? I also need to drive it about 45 miles to get the gears changed.

2. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

the problem is that your transmition is a 700r.am i right?the trouble with a 700r is that they suck.even for stock tires.i have destroyed three of them in the past two years.i would recomend switching to a turbo 400 or a sm 465 if you want dependability. thats what i did(sm 465)and i havnt had any trouble since.i have heard that a 700r can be build to last,but i have never seen it.just my humble opinion

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

check you t.v. cable...chances are it needs adjusting.

4. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

i don't know about a 700r4 but i had a similiar problem with my th350, it ended up being the vacuum line had cracked and the tranny wasn't getting and vacuum.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It is possible that you overheated the tranny. Check to make sure that your lockup is working. If you cruise down the highway in O/D with no lockup, you are very likely to bring your tranny temp too high. If not while cruising, then when you finally slow down.

Check the TV cable. It may need adjustment. However, your symptoms sound more like a stuck TV valve.

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Pop the clip off of the TV cable, and while the truck is running pull the TV cable out as far as it will go and then let it go back in. Work it back and forth and back and forth a little bit and then put it back on the little clip and secure it. Drive it and see if it works. It sounds like you may have a stuck TV valve, and this may help to free it up... it worked for me after my tranny did pretty much the same thing. Good luck, if it dosen't work you may be in for an expensive ride...