Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help..transmission pump gasket replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beerman, Aug 1, 2002.

1. beerman

beerman Registered Member

i have pulled my turbo 350 trans. out of my blazer because of leaking fluid behind torque converter. while is is out i want to replace the front seal and pump gasket.. no problem on the front seal but i have never pulled a pump before. is it hard, can i do this at home with out much trouble????

thanks for any info.

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

if I remember correctly, after you pull the torque convertor out, the pump is bolted in to the front of the case directly behind it, several bolts around the outside holding it in place. I think there are two threaded holes in the pump body, remove the other bolts, and wind bolts into the threaded holes, they will push the pump body out of the case. the pump body and gaskets will only line up one way, be sure all the holes line up when putting it back together.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've successfully removed pumps by hand, but it had been apart not much earlier (2000 miles) and it still wasn't easy. There is a tool for this which involves threading bolts into the pump and pulling it, but you can *try* by hand, if you've got the time.

I just rock it back and forth with the stator support (not the input shaft...stator support is the one thats pressed into the pump and doesn't turn) while pulling outwards on it. Can't rock it too much or it will get stuck, (just tap it back in with a rubber mallet) but a little at a time and I was able to remove it.

TH350 has some of its "guts" retained by the pump IIRC, so be a little careful when pulling the pump, or you might spill some parts unless the tranny is on end.