Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"HELP" TRIED EVERYTHING....NOW WHAT??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

\"HELP\" TRIED EVERYTHING....NOW WHAT??

ok here is the story. the crank on my 406 was wasted after only 1k miles. the thrust was taken out . In the process of all that crank play, it took out the pump seal. Motor is back together and fresh. It runs like a top. Put a new pump seal in the tranny and it started leaking, even before it got fired. When it got fired, it started gushing. I took it out, everything looked great, convertor fit flush, pushed in all the way. Tranny lines were totally cleaned and clear. I bought a new pump seal thinking it was the wrong size, put it back together
    and the same thing happened. Again everything went together perfectly just like any other tranny swap. I sent the convertor back to be checked out and it came back a-ok. I took the tranny which is a 700, down to the shop and they spent 3 hours and $160 of my money checking it out and everything was fine. I put it back in and even before it fired it was dripping. when I fired it, it started gushing again. Who has any ideas, Because I am totally at a loss here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brian

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Re: \"HELP\" TRIED EVERYTHING....NOW WHAT??

I'd say it's leaking out of the transmission....

Sorry couldnt resist...

No really... where on the tranny is it comin from... they checked it and didnt find anything??? are your lines leaking outside of the tranny???

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you need to tell us where the tranny is leaking from? are you sure the fill tube is in all the way? and is the o-ring on the fill tube good?

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re:

Its leaking from the back of the converter at the pump. I had this as 1 of my tranny challenges. When you had it out was the conv. bushing checked to see if it was ok? Also did you replace the conv. at the same time? 2 things, #1 is when the crank pushed back it may have worn a hole in the conv. snout. #2 I had a brand new in the box conv. that had a pinhole in a weld along the snout that looked just like a seal failure. What we did was to stuff a rag in the snout w/ a blowgun and SLOWLY added more air pressure to it till it started to bleed. Its kinda hard to get the air to not just blow out the fluid which is why you need the rag to attept to seal it and to keep splash to a minimum. Be careful doing this! tranny fluid in the face bites! Did they pressure test the conv.?? to check the bushing pull out the converter and look just beyond the seal, it should look ok and not galled up. (obviously!) If the bushing and the conv. check out Ok Id have to say at that point to get a new pump. But Im not a tranny guy, just a guy w/ bad luck w/ trannys. LOL!

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd be putting one of those seals on the converter BEFORE installing it in the tranny. See if the converter snout is too small a diameter for some reason (like during rebuild they machined it to take out grooves) Also, check the converter/snout weld and see if it's got any edges that are tearing the seal when you stuff the converter into the tranny to put it in the vehicle.

Bad bushing could do it as well, but one that bad should have been caught during a rebuild. (although from experience most shops don't replace bushings unless they absolutely have to)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

6. Brians 60s

it is leaking from the pump-convertor area. it runs down the convertor on to the floor, then when it starts, it gushes. the dipstick is in all way and the o-ring looks great.

7. Brians 60s

Re:

I will check the convertor bushing today. I don't know if that was checked or not. I used the original convertor with only 1k miles on it again. I sent it back to the manufacture and they tore it apart and said it was fine. thanks for the help. Brian

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

could it be the wrong converter? try taking one of the pump seals and fit it to the converter to see if it fits tight. also was the converer preasure tested?

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

9. Brians 60s

Dorian, thanks for the help. I will check it out and see.

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re:

You got lucky then. When I had the same thing happen I detroyed my conv. snout in a matter of seconds. Chances are the bushing is OK then.

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]