Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help! trouble with crank sprocket

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, I was finally pulling the timing chain yesterday, but I ran into trouble with the crankshaft sprocket. I was trying to pull it off with a two jaw puller, but it wasnt coming off. To make it worse the bolt on the puller had a point on it (thats now mostly flattened) that makes the bolt slide off of the harmonic damper bolt. I was wondering how i'm supposed to get the crank sprocket off since this isnt working?

Should I expect it to be this hard putting it back on, or is it just cause its locked in place?

thanks a lot,
    matt

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

these gears can sometimes be difficult to remove, the new one will be snug going on as well, it is a press fit on the crankshaft. if you have access to a torch you may have to heat the gear (heat the gear only, not the crankshaft) this will expand the gear and help it come off. as for the puller I have a bolt that fits the end of the crankshaft that I drilled the center slightly to create a place for the point on the puller to set in, this keeps it in place and prevents damaging the end of the crankshaft.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

In my 454 it wasn't easy either. We got a small puller but didn't open long enough. Then we got a larger one but didn't fit between the sprocket and the block. We ended up disassembling the large puller. We were then able to insert it between block and sprocket at a different angle and between two people "lever" each half of the puller over the block.

To push the new sprocket in, we sanded (vertically only, not in circles) the crank and the inside of the new sprocket, then oiled it and went in easily. We finished pushing it with the old sprocket.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The old timers swear that you can just take a hammer and cold chisel, and give the gear a whack in the bottom of the tooth that is nearest to the keyway. The gear will crack, and it will slide right off. I have never tried this myself, but I have heard a bunch of people say that it works.