Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP- truck down and I need some advice today!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Jul 4, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Truck wouldn't idle but WOULD run if I revved it. Thought the ignition module was bad so I changed it, as well as, replaced the rotor button, pick-up coil, and distributor cap. Also, removed and cleaned TBI. Now truck won't start at all. I know I'm getting fire from coil to distributor, and I know it's getting gas. What's the deal?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

start checking sensors, is it giving you a trouble code?

3. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

No start

Are you sure you didn't put the rotor on 180* out, or get any of your spark plug wires crossed? Miss an electrical connector somewhere? Clogged fuel filter? Vaccuum leak somewhere? Normally an engine that will not idle, but will run when revved is an indication of a vaccuum leak somehwere. Since it started BEFORE you changed all those parts but won't now, you must've missed something when putting it back together. Hard to say without being there, but it's a starting point. :dunno:

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One thing you need to make sure of is that the pick-up coil air gap is correct. You just can't bolt down a pick-up coil and go. There is a special tool for pick-up coils, which sticks into the shaft housing of the distributor, while you have the distributor shaft removed. Then, while the tool is inserted into the distributor housing, you bolt down the pick-up coil, which will automaticly set the air gap at the proper spec.

5. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken the tool is non-magnetic so as not to damage the transducer located inside the module.

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I left out a little info before. This is a '90 K5. Also this happened instantly a few days ago. I was driving home, truck running fine, and I slow down to turn down the road my house is on and truck quits. Starts back but I have to rev it. I drive on to my house (about 1/4 mile) pull in to drive and quits again. This truck has 256, 000 miles on original engine. Is it possible that it has "jumped" time?

7. GM 91 RAT

GM 91 RAT Registered Member

Blazer

It sounds more like you have a piece of carbon in the i.a.c motor or egr valve but I agree with the other guys you must have missed something when you replaced the module and other parts.