Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, truck won't start...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Dec 16, 2001.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

Help, truck won\'t start...

This morning the truck wouldn't fire! It's been fine, every morning, statrts right up. suddenly today it won't fire. Tried the ether starting fluid, so guessing no spark? Took off dist cap and seems pretty scorched, but how would that be such a sudden problem?
    PS--Is there an easy way to get that rotor off? There are no screws, it just wont come off.

Thanks you guys.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: Help, truck won\'t start...

The rotor pulls off, but if its been on there for a while they dont come of easyily. Try pulling a little harder, and if that doesnt work you have to break it off with a screw driver and a hammer.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

ignition module?

4. ArrowheadK5

It was an abnormally damp day today -- foggy, raining, 40 degrees--- could that cause this? I'm avoiding the ignition coil stuff simply because I'm hoping tis something more simple, and I know nothing about it...
    Any more info about that would undoubtedly help. Thank you, Any ideas appreciated.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My rotor is held onto the distributor with two screws......I don't know why your guy's would be any different.

FWIW, my truck starts and runs really crappy when it's humid out. Luckily up here we don't have too many moist days. Mine is carbed however......

I would pull the ignition module out and have it tested, like Mike mentioned above. When you turn the motor over does it even try to fire?

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

6. ArrowheadK5

No firing at all, just cranks. Even with statring fluid it doesn't fire. The rotor has no screws, I now remember the one on my K5 was a b!tch to get off. It's the same exact thing, but I need a new one now cause I broke it trying to get it off. Fuel injected, but thinking that maybe it was just too damp and corroded, it was pretty bad. Hopefully--nothing else has been going right for me lately...need this truck to get to school/ Chrismas choir performances!!

I know, I'm a choir boy, but I can be proud of it--we're easily the best ensemble in the state and are going to Carnage Hall this spring to sing. I digress...sorry!

Thanks to all for help!

--Thomas Jefferson

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey Tom.... if you have no spark and it was damp and rainy like it was here today try a new set of plug wires and a cap and rotor. Most times moisture will get in small cracks and cause problems in the cap or wires. You might even be able to start it later when it dries out. If that doesn't work you will have to do some trouble shooting to detirmine if it is the coil, pickup coil, module, etc. New plugs might not be a bad idea at this stage either

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Fuel injected ones dont have screws, thats why they suck to get off after they go on.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Now why would GM go and do that? How does the rotor initially install on the dist., like what holds it down?

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You mentioned the coil...
    A way to troubleshoot the coil is to hook up a test light to the negative side of the coil, and if the light goes pulsates on/off, that means the coil is firing off, and everthing is good up to the coil. Then you'll have to check the output outta the coil... to the spark plugs etc.
    good luck dude

[REAL MEN DON"T CARE ABOUT GAS MILEAGE OR RAPID TIRE WEAR!]
    Ryan B.

11. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Have you ever thaught about timing. It could have jumped time. If you gotta timing belt it could have stretched or if it is gear and chain than it may have skipped a tooth. either case will do this. Top dead center the number one plug and check your rotor to make sure it is pointing at the number one point. Make sure you are on the compression stroke though. may help.

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 35's