Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! truck won't start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Nov 1, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Help! truck won\'t start

84 305. all stock.

It rolls over, starts, then immediatly dies. I was able to get it started by holding the pedal maybe 3/4s down and not letting up for a minute. It was puking smoke and ran rough, then recovered and idled fine after another minute.

I searched a bit and I'm thinking fuel filter or pump from the stuff I was seeing. My question is...is there a way to check these short of just replacing them? It's kinda lame but I pretty strapped right now and I really don't have any money to throw at it. Also, any other ideas welcome...would like to get it to run today...there's actually gas in it so I could go somewhere. Thanks a ton. You guys rule.--Brian

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Help! truck won\'t start

what color was the smoke? hows the coolant and oil look??
    fuel filters are cheap and easy to change, and pumps arent TOO bad either..but i dont think its either of those, yet..

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

ok..that was last night so I went out and started it up again just now.

Started easier, ran a little rough. Decent amount of black smoke for maybe 10 seconds. Oil and coolent look ok. It is making noise from passenger side valves (I think). Only on that side. Also, it started making a sort of 'click' every few seconds. Ideas?

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Does the truck have a carb or tbi....

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

carb. Seems to be on and off. Fires right up sometimes, other times I have to fight it. And then it smokes and runs rough for a minute before calming down. I'm goin change the fuel filters and see where that gets me.

6. 99firehawk

IS your choke working? I would be checking for a big vacum leak

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if it was that bad of a vacume leak you would think you could hear it..id pop the hood and listen for onee..

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I could not hear anything that sounded like a huge leak. What's a good way to check for a small one? Just a real good visual inspection? How would I check the choke? Thanks for the help guys.

9. 99firehawk

electric or manual choke?

10. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check your float level yet?
    You could check for a vacuum leak by spraying some WD-40
    around the intake and listen for a rpm increase /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with firehawk's line of thinking. It sounds like your choke is sticking shut.

Since your 84 comes factory with an elctric choke setup I'm gonna assume you're still equipped with one. Have you taken a look and made sure that your choke is pulling off properly? Pop off the aircleaner lid. Get into the truck and set your choke and high idle by putting the pedal to the floor(make sure your engine is cold or it won't work properly). Now get back out of the truck and check that the choke butterfly is closed. Get back in the truck and fire it up. If it stalls out, get out and look closely at your choke butterly again- it should have opened up about 1/4 of an inch. If it didn't it means you're gonna have to make an adjustment on the pull-off linkage.

BTW, black smoke means too much fuel and if your choke is on when it shouldn't be it will lead to a rich-running condition.