Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Trying to make some tire decisions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

This could be a long one. Thinking out loud mostly...

I have 9 35" tires right now. 5 are radial mud grips but not too agressive, 4 are Swamper TSLs. I can buy 15x10 8 lug wheels for them, but I want to go bigger.

I have a borrowed set of 38x12.5s on the truck right now. They look awesome, and may be coming up for sale soon. Trouble is they are 16.5s... eww.

I have a set near me of 39.5x18-15 Boggers for sale... back to the 15x10 8 lug wheels, and I dont know if a wide tire like that is good for occasional rock crawling/ Moab trip etc. I can buy the Boggers, then keep the 35 radials for street use, but then I need 10 new wheels 8 lug 15s.
    Dangit... I dont know what I want to do! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Heres my question:

Is there any detrement to running those 15" 8 lug wheels?
    What about a 18" wide 39.5? I know it would be good for the mud, which I do 50% of my wheeling in, but I also am trying to get into the rock trails more and am looking for a trip to Moab one of these years.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Buy some Hummer beadlock rims for the 38.5's...

The boggers would do fine on the rocks...just add a little custom grooving to add lateral 'gription' and you'll be good to go.

I'd prolly grab the boggers, they'd be more suited to what you want to do (50% mud) and will also do fine in the rocks with a little work.

Running 8 lug 15" rims ain't no big deal.

The big deal is the D44 front end with that large a tire, the 38.5's are already way past the practical limit for that front end...

Rene

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The big deal is the D44 front end with that large a tire, the 38.5's are already way past the practical limit for that front end...

[/ QUOTE ]

See my post on this subject if you don't believe rene. Two trips and two shaft destroyed.

4. tRustyK5

Yup, and Mikey wheels that thing hard...

Rene

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

for the same price as a set of new boggers ($345.18 x 4 = $1380.72.. national tire and wheel) , you can easily get a D60 front axle... I'd go that route first... THEN worry about bit tyres. I know the lil boy in all of us just wants huge tires... but the most cost effective way to upgrade is to beef the drivetrain first and tires last.

j

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

like was said your really pushing the d44. I kept thinking I will run 38s on d44 but I've pretty well decided its not a go. 36s for temp till I decide to go all out trail rig or get a d60.

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks for the comments everyone.
    One thing I have to point out... you gotta look at my location... Alberta Canada. If I could get a set of Boggers for 1300.00, I would be a happy guy. This set of tires I am looking at is 1600.00 and about 95% tread left. They are on aluminum 5 lug Jeep wheels which I could sell. Then Id have to pick up some 8 lug 15s for them. There is a local guy here that wants 2000.00 for his ONE D60 he has in the wrecking yard... and says he wont get rid of it for any price... just in case he wants to build something with it later on... butthead.

The other issue is that now that I am 8 lug all the way around, I have to sell the 15" wheels and tires I have now. Which means I have to buy tires soon. I might as well buy the ones that are for sale at a good deal now rather than buy two sets later.
    Maybe I will try to swing the deal for the Boggers... hmmm.
    So a tire that wide would be runnable on the rocks huh? Cool......

Thanks!
    Mike

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I posted this earlier with the pics you had up of your K5. Why not just buy the new 38.5x15-15 boggers, or even the 38.5x15-16 boggers? With the 16" rims you get a safety bead, no caliper grinding and the tire is only $3 more than a 15" rim. You'll also have a better selection of rims when you go with 16", even aluminum if you'd like. These tires are listed at most places for about $220 each here in the U.S. I'll be getting a set of the 15" rim versions for my K5 soon. I'm already looking foreward to grinding the Dana 60's calipers /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Anyways, just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. tRustyK5

There is at least one CUCV 5/4 pick-up on base Mike (I'm sure I saw at least one when I was there...)...now get on it, ya know a little covert op with the blue wrench! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Boggers...and a sack full of D44 trail spares.

Rene

10. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status