Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!! tv adjustment...UPDATE..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Jun 28, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

No not the one in my house for all the smart @sses! LOL!
    First of all its a 700R4. A while back I had a post about adjusting the tv cable after installation of a throttle body spacer. Tranny was shifting highir, harder, etc. Tonight I finally had some time so I went out to mess with it. I was told to push in the adj. button on the side in back of the bracket, move the throttle to wide open position, let go of the button and its adjusted. I did just that. Pushed in the little brass button, pushed the throttle linkage to full throttle, the little plastic tube (that the actual steal cable goes through) "clicked" forward, let go of the button and I thought ok, adjusted. Took it for a test, or attempted to anyways, in Drive, it just slips BIG TIME, I put in first gear to get me back up the street, and that seemed normal, but thats it. What should I do?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 90blzr on 06/29/01 12:31 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Re: HELP!!!! tv adjustment...

aiight, here goes. push in that button, push that plastic sleeeve all the way towards teh firewall. relase button. open throttle all the way. You'll hear it click. now test drive. this will most likely be too high. press in that button and manually slide that sleev towards the front a little bit and re test. repeat till you get it shifting right. That's all I got for ya. By raising the throttle body away from the bracket, you just changed the geometry of it all. I switched to an Edelbrock Performer from a Rochester and mine was all crazy. It took some tinkering, but I got it. just tinker with it some, peace out.

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok, that sounds good, push it all the way towards the firewall and just move it forward one click at a time? how do I know when its shifting "right"? I mean if its not dead nuts will it mess up the tranny. I really dont want to f - up my tranny. Thanks for the help!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 90blzr on 06/28/01 10:02 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

I just did the same on my 90 blazer those instructions are correct....Chiltons has the proceedure in there if you have a problem......It took awhile because my button was on the valve cover side and I couldnt get my finger in there to push it. I used a long flat tip screw driver and got it to work. I shift a little hard also I will have to mess with it a little. What does that TV cable do any way?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The TV cable controls all of the shift points, the line pressure, and keeps you from burning out your tranny. It's not just a kickdown cable anymore, and we're not in Kansas anymore Toto!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

it controlls all the shift points? is that just a 700r4? cus on the th350 you got a gov that does the work of controlling the shift oints... but i have only had one 700 and it was bad when i got it so i took the truck back....

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

7. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

nuh uh, push it towards the firewall and open the throttle all the way it'll click a few times. this will most likely be too high, then move it toward the front if it's shifting too high. ie. you'll drive, that SOB will let loose rev up and then slam into gear. if it's too low, then move towards firewall a little.. "right" is when it's shifting at the same RPM as before you messed with it. [​IMG]

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

TV cable acts the same way a modulator does, but a modulator runs off engine vaccuum, and not necessarily throttle position. Inside the tranny, modulator controls a valve in the same manner as the cable.

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by newyorkin on 06/29/01 08:09 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Just did it. Much better!!. Thanks for the help.
    Another question I have is, does anyone elses 700R4 shift into OD at about 40-45mph. Like if you just put it into OD and leave a stop sign like normal, mine shifts at about 1500 from 1st to 2nd and at 15-1600 from 2nd to 3rd and at bout 1800 in goes into OD. It has always done this, before I even got the TB spacer and messed with the tv cable. Is this normal?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 90blzr on 06/29/01 12:16 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A TH 350 does not have a TV cable. TV stands for Throttle Valve. The cable on a TH 350 is nothing more than a kickdown or detent cable. As others have said, the vacuum modulator does all the shift points. On a 700R4, there is no modulator, so it's all controlled by the TV cable.

Tim

11. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Yep mine does the same thing. I just dropped in a new motor and was expecting a big change. Wrong,,,, I blame the 700R4. If I shift it manually I have tons of power and speed. I have played with the T.V. by the book and can't get it right. I think that it is shifting way to early. check my profile for my specs. I'm in the process of installing a Slip Yoke eliminator and a CV shaft now but once I get it done it's off to the tranny shop again. They rebuilt my tranny a few months ago and I asked them to make it HP.... Corvette Servo, Kevlar bands. ETC.... Theres got to be a way to get these 700's to perform without manual shifting...

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Tighten up the TV cable. It will shift higher and harder.

Tim

13. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the good info on the TV cable guys/gals

14. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Tighten the Tv cable?
    I tried the adjustment's all the way forward, back and in between.. My trans shifts real quick from 1st to 2nd.. then it's fine..
    Is there another adjustment? I just changed my carb.. and that's when this started doing it..
    Thanks..
    I also followed the Haye's manual verbatim... no improvement.. I'm just going to throw my old carb back on if I can't figure it out.

A well armed society is a polite society. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</A>

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Even with your foot in it, it shifts quickly from 1st to 2nd?

Is the cable binding up or something?

Tim

16. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

No.. I'm light on the gas.. just starting out from a dead stop.. it'll shift from 1st to 2nd... real quick.. and light on the pedal. I've never had problems til I changed the carb..
    Checked my tranny fluid.. it's fine.. never had trans problems... damn carb is more trouble than it's worth... lol.

A well armed society is a polite society. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</A>

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well if you're light on the gas it's going to shift fast. That's the point of the TV cable. What do you want it to do, shift at 4000 RPM when you're just trying to putt along?

Tim

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey all, I just remembered something from my old S10's tv cable:
    At the base of the cable (where it enters the tranny), the cable jacket had completely broken off the base tube. I used to adjust the cable like crazy, but it would have no effect, cause some days the jacket would be so loose it woul flop off the base and totally change the tenion of the cable. Other days, it would be fine.
    Just remembered that when someone said "binding", thought I'd share for some of you guys that can't seem to get it where you want it.

Ratch
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**