Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! UPDATE...Eureka! Back to making Progress!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by biobry, Feb 24, 2004.

1. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Started to tear down the 350 I picked up for my project...can't get the intake manifold to bust loose...any ideas?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: HELP!!!

make sure the heads are off, and all bolts are out, wack it with a rubber mallet.. or pry it up with a screwdriver and hammer..

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you get every bolt? should be 12. every one that i have done is just bump it with a hammer and it pops loose

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Someone probably used Silicone on it. Start in one corner with a small cheisel and tap it in between the manifold and the block.Work it in a few spots around the manifold and it should come loose. Good luck.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Looks like there is a broken bolt on each side in the middle...I thought they were missing...This could cause a problem due to the angles they are in...

6. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Re: HELP!!! UPDATE...

Drilled one out and was able to work it up...success...partially. The Distributor will not pull out...at all! hoping that removal of the rockers/pushrods/timing set will allow me to free up the cam and move on here...starting to have serious doubts about this block...

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

did you remove the distributor clamp? sounds like someone didnt do his homework before tearing into an engine. since you posted the question i'm going to assume this is your first attempt at getting inside an engine.

8. Confedneck

if you dont plan on using the dist again.. smack that bitch with a hammer..

9. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Yes, I removed the distributor clamp...though it was a little tought with my slip-joint pliers...Ha Ha Actually, with the two opposing bolts broken off it was a little tough...this engine has been sitting out for a long time, just wanting to salvage the block...not a first timer but I don't do this for a living either...but consider myself not altogether stupid. The distributor is frozen op, probably rusted solid at the drive gear...got some penetrating oil in there to try to free it up...any better ideas?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually I'd suspect the problem is where the distributor contacts the block. Not sure if it's dissimilar metals or what, but I've broken the distributor housings on junk blocks trying to pry them out. (just to see how hard it was stuck)

Get oil into where the shaft enters the block, and rotate the distributor housing when/if you can get it to free up. I believe all Chev distributors have wrench "flats" on them that might allow you to use a crescent to coax the housing into rotating. Once it rotates pretty freely, then start trying to pull up on it. I'd suggest not using any tools to pry on it though, as you'll break it.

I've played with this problem a few times (mainly on Oldsmobiles) and it always took quite a bit of effort. Still worth it instead of destroying the thing getting it out.

11. biobry

biobry Registered Member

It is not stuck where it goes through the intake manifold, rotates with little resistance...I think the gears are actually rusted together...darnedest thing I've ever seen.

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Get a wrench on the crank and spin it. If it spins then its not that. Unless you've already taken the cam chain off that is.

13. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Maybe the cams broken? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Confedneck

i still say use a hammer against the bottom of the Dist housing..

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, the problem is still in the distributor to block interference. I'll bet money on it.

Like I said, I don't know why they do it, but it's like the distributor swells into the engine block in grooves. The small flats where the distributor contacts the block is the only interference to removing the distributor, and even when they rotate freely, they are still very hard to remove.

If you want to prove it's not the cam gear, as someone mentioned, turn the engine even an 1/8th of a turn. Of course this is assuming nothings broken inside...all bets are off if thats the case.

16. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what if you turn the motor over and pull the pan off, oil pump off and hammer on the end of the cam gear with a long punch or something /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Re: HELP!!! UPDATE...Got \'er done!

And the survey says!!!

Dorian, right on the money! frozen solid to the block...finally got her loose today, haven't messed with it for a few days, other projects going on...

Thanks for the great advice!

And thanks to all for your replies and insight.

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif