Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! *****UPDATE on last page*****

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by badfish4tail, Oct 31, 2005.

1. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

My 91 K5 is having a hell of a time starting, it will start and turn off also turns off while driving sometimes. I already this year replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, sending unit, relay, and cleaned the throttle body. I ran the diagnostic and only came up with code 12 (every thing ok code). So after looking at everything i have found that my driver side header to exhaust collector that is held in place with 3 bolt is coming apart. one of the bolt's striped off. Can this exhaust leak be what is causing my problem? Or could it be my IAC, if it is my IAC why did no codes come out?
    Thanks in advance

mario

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  2. dewster

dewster Registered Member

not starting

sometimes the iac gums up like the throttle body causing poor air flow. but not throwing a code.

3. badfish4tail

Could i just pull it off and clean it or should i just replace it?

4. dewster

dewster Registered Member

5. gotchevys?

gotchevys? Registered Member

starting problems?

My 89 jimmy had a problem starting. It satarted out about every six months I would try to start it and it would just crank and crank but would not even try to fire. I would get ubder the hood and wiggle various wire around and try again. After several attempts it would finally fire and run fine. It was like this for at least 5 years. Then it started getting worse. It would just shut off going down the road. It happened more and more. I finally took it to the chevy dealer after I failed to find the problem myself. They replaced a sensor or somthing in the bottom of the distributor. That was about 2 years ago and it hasn't happened since. :burb: :usaflag:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

could be..

Yeah,it could be the pick up coil in the distributor causing that..--it could be a wire connection somewhere heating up and breaking the connection intermittently too..bad ignition switch,or coil might do it too.(less likely though).you'll have to see if its losing spark right after it stalls..it might be the ignition module inside the distributor too,they can crap out intermittently too--

Sometimes they cause it to lose spark,sometimes it still has spark,but the part of it that fires the fuel injectors craps out..and they don't set any "codes" either,and can test "good" at autozone on their tester--then crap out after its back in the truck awhile later..they do this quite often--never "fully" die,but will let it start and run only somtimes,when it feels like it!.. :doah: .

A genuine GM module is best,but costs a lot more than a cheapie at a parts store ..its a gamble as to whether that will cure it..a pick up coil can do the same exact thing..we often change both at the same time at my friends shop,rather than risk a "comeback"..sometimes he just swaps a rebuilt distributor in,its faster and easier than changing a pick up coil..(not exactly an easy job if you've never done one before-)and sometimes the shafts dont come out of the distributor easy,if at all)....

I don't know much about EFI,but I do know the IAC motor should only affect the motor at idle..and no,I doubt very much any exhaust leak at the header collectors have anything to do with it at all..you'll have to determine if its losing spark,the pulse to fire the injectors,or fuel itself...sounds like you've already covered the fuel system pretty well..i'd start looking at the ignition !..good luck... :crazy:

7. badfish4tail

Well i replaced the IAC last night and everything seemed fine till this morning. Same ol sh*t :angry1: crank, start, turn off. did this about a dozen times till it stayed on. So i am now going to start looking at what diesel4me said and check out the ignition module inside the distributor and the pick up coil. Maybe i should just give in and take it to the local chevy dealer :(

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Is it actually starting, running for a second or two, then dying out?

Mine did this a few times when i moved up to Flagstaff a few years ago during winter, figured it had something to do with a sensor, and the cold weather, especially now, since it hasn't done it since and i'm back down in Phoenix,,,

maybe just some more ideas for ya to search about.

and i never did finger it out either. :doah:

9. badfish4tail

Thats exactly what its doing!!! :doah:

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

well all i can think of then is,,,,,,,,

SOMETHING, doesn't like being cold, i know the temps have started dropping out there lately, :doah:

think i need to go buy a sweater :p:

11. badfish4tail

Well now I replaced the module,wires,cap, rotor, and plugs.
    Still having the same damn problem. Has anyone ran into this?
    HELP!!

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The dist. may be losing ground. Try running a wire from the engine to the dist. base. I am about to do the same thing. I am thinking of drilling a small hole in the flat part of the dist base and putting a screw through a wire eyelet and then running the other end to a v/c bolt and probably running it to the body also.
    Let us know.

13. badfish4tail

Sh*t it's worth a try, Thanks for replying

14. badfish4tail

Okay I tried grounding the dist. to the firewall with a wire. Seemed to run okay for about a half hour till once again it turned off :angry1: . Still having the same prob. and now it is getting worse, the damn truck will turn off now whem it's driving down the street :( . I am going to attempt to replace the pick up coil this saturday :eek1: . It will be my first time trying to do this, but before i do that i am going to check all my wire's for any damage first :wink1:
    Wish me luck

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Do you have a bad ground somewhere in the ign. circuit. That's the only place it could be. I had a similar prob. a few years ago. It was my ECM. Take yours to Autozone or someplace and have it tested.

BTW, it sounds like you have already thrown enough parts and $$ at it to justify a shop taking a look at it. Sometimes, that is the best thing to do. :doah:

16. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Did you ground the dist to the engine? The main ground should be the engine, the body is just extra.

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ok, now run a wire from the firewall back the to the engine. Like Leper said, run a wire to a valve cover bolt.

18. badfish4tail

Okay i will try that after work today...Thanks for repling guys

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Help!

I was also gonna say "ECM". My Cad did that too. It costs 0, just check all the harness going into the ECM. ;)

20. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

ya might check the ignition switch,,,i dunno if it's the same thing or not, but when my steering column was SOOO loose, it would wobble around real bad, it shut off on me a couple of times while driving,,,thats when i fingered it was time to fix it.