Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! vibration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Nov 7, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yesterday my 87 K5 started to vibrate. I dont have a lift on it, i have 31" road tires, its stock. It just randomly will start to vibrate at about 35mph and continue as u go up in speed. It doesnt get any worse, just continues. Also sometimes when starting from stop signs i hear a metal rattling. Kinda like 2 pieces of thin metal flapping banging on each other. My dad thought it might of been the Ujoints but nope wasnt that. Now hes thinkin t-case. We havent gotten a chance to put it in the air and check it out yet. I reallllllllly dont wanna take the tcase down. Its a 208 by the way. I cant afford it to be down for long seeing its my DD. So anyone have you had the same stuff happen? what could be going on? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. stockk5

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. stockk5

anybody?

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Did you actually REPLACE the u-joints, or just check them? If you checked them, did you just pull on them, or take them apart and check out the needle bearings?

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Also make sure the pinion on the rearend isn't loose , mine came loose on the last one , just a little . Also make sure the tranny mounts are ok , if the case sags on one side , or both sides , it can make a vibration /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

If nothing else, alignment. Did you hit anything? A curb at the mall? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I shouldn't be laughing...

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Physically take apart the u joints, they can be bad yet show no outward signs.

John