Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help!!! vibrations

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUPERSUB87, Oct 28, 2006.

1. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

so this has been happening since ive gotten if from slc, utah. it is a 87 1/2 ton suburban that has a sas swap done in 94... with what i believe is a 4" or 3" lift and 33's.... anyways when driving on the highway it seems to shake violently while accelerating past 60mph. i believe that it might be the u-joints as 10 bolts are notorious for this. but the transfer case is dropped i believe and it might be loose. it is leaking oil from the front diff. and the trans is slipping. i'm in the process of fixing these problems, but i just want to know what yalls opinions on what is causing this shaking... any help would be appreciated.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If it has drive flanges or the hubs are locked you could have an issue with the front driveshaft being out of balance or needing new u-joints. An out of balance driveshaft can cause the pinion seal to leak. The rear driveshaft could be out of balance or need u-joints. Make sure everything is tight (including u-joint straps/u-bolts). It could be the rear end as well.

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ya Im bettin its the u-joints. Get some good spicer ones

4. SUPERSUB87

oh... also.. the rear axle is more to the right if you look at it from behind... one tire sticks out of the fender in the rear and the other goes in... is that the rear driveshaft... it doesnt really shake all that much in 4 wheel... but in ddriving it does... so idk. its odd

5. SUPERSUB87

yeah... but im not really spending all that much on this one... its got gobbs of rust... from being in park city utah all of its life. but i might replace the panels and get it back to the original... i love this sub... first rig ive ever wheeled in. and it use to be a travel time so it has that beautiful blue interior... with 4 captains chairs and wood grain. but the damn rust:doah:

6. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

buy a texas sub and swap the interior. give up the rust

7. SUPERSUB87

well. i have a texas sub... its a 3/4 ton that im building... problem is i love that interior to so. yeah.

8. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I think you are confused. We are suggesting you replace the universal joints on the rear driveshaft (and on the front too if you have auto or full time hubs). Spicer is the OEM supplier of these u-joints. They make the best compromise of quality and price for axle u-joints.

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

im lost, was it 2wd before?.... 87 4x4 burbans WERE solid axle if 4wd... if it was 2wd and had a solid axle swapped in and no t-case, id be looking at rear driveline, does it shake differently when you let off the gas on the interstate?