Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help vin decoding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by strokerace, Mar 14, 2004.

1. strokerace

strokerace Registered Member

well I bought a 1968 short box truck I looked up the vin it sed it was a 6 banger 2x4 and the fram is a v8 4x4 so I found the nubers on the frame but they do not make any sence to me 393 3323 100 10 170 Im just not shuer what to make of this the nubers wher on the drivers side under the cab on the strate part HELP Im I looking in the wrong spot??? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Those are just frame numbers if memory serves me right. The actual VIN stamping on the frame should be on the TOP of the frame rail.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

whered you get your vin? off the dash? the dash and body could be from a 6 cyl 2wd truck..

4. strokerace

I got it on the cab the cab maches the titl but the cab is of one truck the box is of a nother front fenders are difrent you know how it go's LOL it was cheap tho /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. strokerace

is the vin any where elce on the truck???? thanks for all of your help so far

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i grew up on 67-72 trucks, i made myself learn everything

vin code is on spid label and on door jamb plate, last half of vin is on frame rails, some are behind steering box on top sid eof frame either on pass side or driver side frame rail and others are on top side of rails under floor and youll never see them but none are going to help you in this case since is only last half

model code is written at way top of firewall on pass side just above wirign gutter underhood in grease pen, white or black or yellow grease.

if its a 2wd 6 cyl shortfleet then it will be a CS10734 model
    this s NOT same as VIN code

vin of a 2wd 6 cyl pickup will be CS148J1xxxxx

the J can be anything, all depends on what plant it was built at

if truck is factory v8 truck then it wil be CE instead of CS

if its really a 4x4 then it wil be KS if is 6cyl and KE if is V8

if it were 72 up 2wd then it would be CCE or CCS

2x4 does not exist, a 2wd is actually a 4x2, not a dimension of those pieces of lumber commonly used as wall studs

the numbver you found on frame rails is the stamping GM part numbe rof the frame rails, several different lengths and designs of frame rails were made each model year, some were leaf rear rails and some were coil rear rails, but they were actualyl all the same for 1/2 and 3/4 ton 2wd's, except 68-72 longhorns in which were all straight rail 1 ton frames even the C20 series longhorns!

post all the actual model or vin codes you find and also where you found each one at on the truck, and i will help you