Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help w/ Carb Rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Mar 9, 2000.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I think I'm going to rebuild my carb this weekend. It's a Rochester QuadraJet. I'm going to get a rebuild kit but I have never done this before. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I recommend you get "Rochester Quadrajet" book by David Roe. A couple people from this board recommended it to me a while ago when I needed to rebuild and tune my Quad. I ordered mine from Amazon.com, but you can get it from summit racing too for about the same w/free shipping depending on your location. Or you can search local book stores for it. This book will give you invaluable information on everything you need to know about your carb. Hope this will help you and good luck.
    Boss

3. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I had planned on rebuilding my quad also, untill I found you can get a remanufactured one for about $120 with the exchange. It was remanufactured by Champion Parts the first one I put on was leaky so I took it back and swapped it. The second one is still running fine. Just in case you don't have the time or patience to do a rebuild.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have that book and it's great. I'd recommend you read it before you get started with the rebuild.

But if you're doing it anyway, first of all get a good rebuild kit. Next, find a place nobody will bump, get near while carelessly eating and chatting, and where small pieces will roll out and get lost. Pay close attention to what you are doing. Observe how every part fits before you remove it. I'd recommend blowing with compressed air the openings below the main jets after you soak the pieces with carb cleaner. My new carb's special offer included a piece of dirt under them - free.

The only hard part for me is removing the accel pump linkage, and choke to valve linkage, but that will vary depending on which q-jet you have. Reassembling will be easy if you payed close attention when removing parts.

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

5. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

The book spoken of above is a good reference for the task at hand but if you are only going to rebuild the carb. once why not check out the library I've found many a repair manual there and photo copied all the necessary pages and didn't worry about screwing the book up. Gary...