Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP W/ Q-JET

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLUESMAN, Jun 22, 2002.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    The results of my "terminator" adventure left me a few mods that has to be done!One of which to install a Q-jet carb.I have two, one is off an '81 400sb and the other is off an '85.Does anyone know of a good rebuild kit? The Edelbrock "performer" carb just sucked so much.Thanks Mike

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I used the edelbrock kit #1921 for their model Q-jets. I'm running an original and the airhorn gasket needed to be trimmed very slighty by the secondaries, not much. I also had to add to 2 holes too, nothing serious though, just some holes for a little air. In spite of that, it was a VERY complete kit with good directions with good parts. It runs like a champ now!

3. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

I am running the Edelbrock Q-jet and can idle on a angle steep enough to roll on. The carb is great! I am ready for fuel injection now though.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I personally haven't had any problems with the cheapy chain store rebuild kits, as long as I didn't need the float (they don't include them) and I pay attention to the accelerator pump piston/rod, as I've got a kit with the wrong length in it. No biggie, the stock one is reusable.

$20 for a non CCC carb (computer carb control) rebuild kit. never had to trim gaskets, the carbs aren't the same inside, usually every year a passage was changed requiring a different airhorn gasket, which is why the edelbrock kit could give you grief depending on what year carb you have.

Would definitely suggest staying away from the edelbrock kit for the (typical) '74 and older carbs, as I believe the edelbrock carb was based on the '75 up (typical) Q-jet design, and the gaskets (carb body) are quite different.

Also, you could have both a 750 and 795 (800 to some) CFM Q-jet, (since the years are different) the larger one isn't necessary for really much of anything, but will give you worse mileage.

Might be easier to go with one or the other depending if your engine is setup for electric choke or not, and assuming the '81 was still mechanical. (not sure) Wasn't like '79 the last year for the 400?

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was a little surprised when I layed the gasket down and they were different?! '80 was the last year for the 400, but I've never seen one with it. '81 will have an electric choke, possibly ESC (depends how "fancy" your rig is)

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Thanks for the info.I guess I go to the local parts place and pick up a plain jane rebuild kit.