Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP Wanted on Colorado Emission Law For 1972 Blazers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Whitey, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Whitey

Whitey Newbie

Hi. My name is Bobbi and I'm a Texas girl getting ready to move to Colorado Springs, Co. I own a pretty much stock 1972 4x4 Chevy Blazer and I need to know if any one can tell me what the Emission Laws are like up there. I'm new to the group so If I've done something wrong here, please except my apology for being stupid. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I don't live in an area that requires testing anymore.

Last time I needed one it was only a tailpipe test no visual. As long as your truck is tuned good, you shouldn't have any problems.

You can also go for collectors plates. Last time I checked into that you had to buy the plates 5yrs at a time so emissions testing was once every 5 years. It may have changed since then.

There are plenty of guys from the Springs area, I'm sure they'll post up with more accurate info.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hi Bobbi, 'nother former Texan here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif For a '72 it should be pretty easy to pass. I'm not sure if they'll bother with a visual or not on a rig that old. If you plan to be here for a while, then the collector plates are worth looking into. They cost about $125 and are good for 5 years. You have to pass the sniffer to get them the first time, but as long as you renew before they expire, then you don't have to go to the sniffer again. At least that's what I've been told. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif How soon are you heading up this way?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm new to the group so If I've done something wrong here, please except my apology for being stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing as a stupid question. Great first post , welcome /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

gotta love the western slope no emissions /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    gotta love the western slope no emissions /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yet... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Don't throw away any of your emissions stuff. Ya never know when you might need it again. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. el diablo

el diablo Registered Member

It would be in your best interest to call an emissions test station where you are going in Colorado to get an accurate answer. You can look up that info on the intenet yellow pages, or call the DMV. You will get a bunch of different answers on a board, alot of information will be guesses and incorrect, you will have to figure out which one is correct. Good luck with that one! The boards are are great source of information, as long as people that actually know the correct answers post. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Good luck in Colorado, another beautiful state!

8. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

read my post in the first gen section. If the 72 was from cali it most likely had a smog pump. if not then it probably has to meet federal requirements. go to a local smog station they should have the answers there.

by federal law vehicles that came with smog equimpent must have the original smog equipment in place and in working condition. I got cited for that a few months ago in cali. the law calls it "TAMPERED EMMISION CONTROL SYSTEM(S)" under
    Health & Saftey Code 44011.6

ARQ.

9. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The emissions testing in Colorado is in the process of changing dramatically. As it has been, new cars had to hit the dyno rollers of the IM240 test (every other year I think) and the older vehicles just had to get a regular tailpipe sniffer with visual inspection. Also every one that has noted the collector plates is correct, 5yrs but you got to pass the sniffer before you get them.

The changes are already being seen in Denver, they will be dropping both the dyno'd IM240 test and tailpipe sniffers for the older cars. They are moving to a MOBILE test procedure where they park a truck at an on ramp to the freeway or at an intersection and are able to sniff you as you go by. If that isn't big brother I don't know what is. Supposedly they take a reading as you pass by and if you fail they take a pic of your plate and mail you the ticket in the mail. How this is done is beyond me. Like I said this is up and coming real soon as the trucks are already squatting at on ramps in Denver. I saw one over two months ago at 104th and I-25. Call any shop right now listed in the yellow pages for emissions testing. They will let you know how soon this BS goes into action for real and when they get shut down for testing.

If you get up here before then, a 72 truck would be pretty light on emissions if it was set up as Fedral standards. make sure you got those components in place, tune it up and go get it sniffed. I live in Pueblo where we don't fall under the emissions testing so I don't have to worry about it. But I did have to take my Dad's 78 Malibu and get it tested last year (he's in Golden). The visual is just a quick once over and they get to the sniffer. Pretty easy if the truck is running right.

If you get up here befo

10. HarryH3

Colorado Springs doesn't have dyno roller testing, other than for big diesel rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They dyno stuff is just a Denver thing, at least for now... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Colorado Springs doesn't have dyno roller testing, other than for big diesel rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They dyno stuff is just a Denver thing, at least for now... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

12. evilk5

evilk5 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi Bobbi, 'nother former Texan here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif For a '72 it should be pretty easy to pass. I'm not sure if they'll bother with a visual or not on a rig that old. If you plan to be here for a while, then the collector plates are worth looking into. They cost about $125 and are good for 5 years. You have to pass the sniffer to get them the first time, but as long as you renew before they expire, then you don't have to go to the sniffer again. At least that's what I've been told. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif How soon are you heading up this way?

[/ QUOTE ]Yep, just renewed my classic plates. Only the first test on the sniffer and good to go. Six years without a smog test /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They are moving to a MOBILE test procedure where they park a truck at an on ramp to the freeway or at an intersection and are able to sniff you as you go by.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The driveby sniffer is only for re-newal. I tried to get the driveby sniffer and they said you have to have an up to date dyno sniffer before you can do the driveby. So basically if it has never had a Denver dyno or you just buy the vehicle you have to have the dyno. If you already have your current emissions you can just renew it at the driveby sniffer.