Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP===Weird problem w/tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I just got back from Nebraska watching UT choke in the college world series. Yesterday I went out to target in the truck, it starts up perfect and I back out of the driveway. It feels a little weird but i thought that might just be cause i havent driven it in a while. I get to the end of the alley and try to accelerate and it just acts like its a manual and i have the clutch just barely let out so itll barely move. What could the problem be? I checked the tranny fluid and its a pint low so i gotta go get some more, but could that be the reason? Cause after that I have absolutely no clue on what it could be.

UPDATE alright I put in a couple quarts of ATF in it and its still doing the same thing. If i put it in reverse or drive, it acts like its in neutral but every few seconds it engages into gear for a split second then goes back to acting like its in neutral. Anybody have any idea cause i'm out of them and this is a daily driver and i start work on monday i need this thing back. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my moms car did that, try letting it warm up before driving it to see if that does any thing

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Need more info man. Your profile tells us nothing. Fill it out please. What kind of tranny? What year rig? What does the fluid look like? What does it smell like?

4. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it may be the low/reverse clutch pack or band. Drop the pan and check for clutch fiber residue. It may be time for a rebuild.
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. jester

jester Registered Member

My Jimmy did that and I opened the pan and the filter was clogged. When I started it up it would run fine for a few minutes until the filter picked up all the crap in the pan and then it would act like it was in neutral and eventually started to overheat. I replaced the filter and it has been working perfect for 2 months now. I would check there first, it is a cheap fix if that is the problem. Good luck!

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would vote for pump going out, or low fluid level or something blocking or not allowing fluid path in the valve body

make sure fluid is bright red and no smell to it other than what good clean not very old tranny fluid smells like and should have no bubbles or anything, should be closer to add line than to full line when cold and closer or at hot line when hot

good luck