Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!!!!!!!!!! went to the badlands ...UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Nov 30, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i went to the badlands today with 75-K5 and right at thre end, my truck would rev up then jerk into gear kinda. well, i was in 4lo and decided id better go back in order to check it out. well i got back and tried to shift to 2hi so i could drive home. i shifted it and it wouldnt even move. so we ended up flat towing my huge ass blazer home 40 miles with 75-K5's stock one. boy was that a sight. but n e wayz, what could it b?? it would rev up then jerk and go. now it wont move. hopefully it is just the tranny cuz i have an extra one. my other though was the chain in the x-case. plz help /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i have a 79 with 350/th350/np203 . but on the plus side a competition rockcrawling heep caught fire /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UPDATE: I took the tanny/x-case out today and turns out theres metal shavings in the bottom of the pan and thhe torque converter was full of metal. but, the fluid looked perfectly fine except for the shavings that were on the bottom of the pan. so i guess the new tranny will b goin in through the week and it will all hopefully be back in by next weekend. thanx for all the help

NITRO

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Re: Help!!!!!!!!!! went to the badlands and shot either tranny or x-case....

In my opinion, if it went at all, it can't be the Transfer case! Those either work or not! Chains can't be sort of broke! It's probably a shift pack in the transmission! What kind of transmission is it anyways???

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

its a th350. it would kinda jerk then pop into gear. with all hope it is the tranny, cuz i have an extra one. but yet, i didnt see n e metal shavings in the oil. ill look tomorrow at it closer. o, the weird thing is that park still works. but i was steering completely towards the tranny. thanx alot

NITRO

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

PArk is just a servo on a claw that meshes with the gears! That could work and you could blown the whole thing! Like I said, if it's an auto, than I'm leaning towards the tranny!

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

aight thanx alot, looks like the other tranny is goin in tomorrow

NITRO

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Help!!!!!!!!!! went to the badlands and shot either tranny or x-case...

An easy thing to check is the tranny fluid. Is it brown and smell burnt ??? If so, you can probley guess it's the tranny.

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Re: Help!!!!!!!!!! went to the badlands and shot either tranny or x-case...

wasnt burnt and didnt smell burnt. but im replacin the tranny tomorrow cuz im sure that thats what it is.

NITRO

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Before you yank the trans, drop the pan and make sure the filter did not come loose. I've seen that happen before. (Donna's Pontiac Sunbird) If all looks well then I'de say the trans is bad. Usually if you rev it up and it sorta pops into gear then it is low fluid or fluid not being sucked up into the trans.

9. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

the fluid level is overfilled, but ill look at that first. thanx!!

NITRO

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Doesn't sound good, could it be a torque converter problem? Or maybe an oil pump in the trannny?

How'd the trip go otherwise? It got COLD, saturday. Can't wait till we get heat in that last room where were working on. Drop me a line if you need some help. There are a couple tool rental places that rent tranny jacks, make removing it alot easier.

You get any pics while you were out?
    Later, J

11. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

yea the trip went great. luckily it happened at the end of the day. i think while i was sitting in some water, it seeped in. so im haulin it to the gf's house and gonna fix it there. she lives in michigantown, so it isnt too far away.i have an extra tranny, so it wont cost me too much. ill prolly just buy a new torque converter and call it good. first im gonna see in the filter just came off. hey, n e thing is worth a try. ill post some pics as soon as i get all my stuff sorted out around here.

NITRO

12. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Ya, too bad we didn't get pics of my little black stocker pullin his big blue a$$ around!!!

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Yep, another reason everyone needs a digital camera!

15. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i took pics all day with my digital, but the batteries ran out at the end. but i will post all the pics we got when we were there and wheeling.

NITRO