Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! Went to the junkyard to get 14 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Curtis2kul, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Hey, today i went to the local junkyard to get me a 14 bolt ff axle for my blazer. I found one on a '85 suburban, the wheels were off and the hogs head was sitting in the mud, so i went up and asked how much it was going to cost and they said about $450.00!!!!!(This is with me pulling the axle out also) <font color="red"> </font> IS THIS TO MUCH????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Keep looking

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

scrap yards always want too much...

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I know of a couple junkyards you can get them for $100......to bad you didn't fil out your prifile and give anybody an idea where you are so they could tell you where to look. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

That's way too much... I got my entire set of 3/4 tons for $650 and that was with the detroit and 4.88 gears... not to mention all the new shafts, u-joints and ball joints that came with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There's better deals to be had my man, keep your eyes peeled! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Also, a 14 bolt out of a Sub will more likely be the semi-floater design, not the full floater everyone wants. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

even 100 bucks is pushing it for an FF axle currently, i wouldnt touch it for less than 150 at a yard, if i had my own yard i would be underslling left and right easy cake, if you were closer then i could hook you up with 3.73 FF 14 axle but youll need to find hubs and drums and shafts for it, otherwise fine nothng wrong internally.

good luck

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ive got a place here i can get them for $50 each... tell them [I love Jeeps] off and yull give em $50....

9. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    $50 axle!!!!!!!!!!Where AT? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ive got a place here i can get them for $50 each... tell them [I love Jeeps] off and yull give em $50....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, exactly.. where at?!

11. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

I got mine in a yard for $150. That was with them pulling it. 450 is way to much.

berg

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Keep your eyes open for old farm trucks. I snagged a 77 K20 for $150 with a D44 and 14BFF, 4:10 gears. I stripped off the axles, wheels &amp; tires, steering box and other assorted items. I ended up getting $20 for it when I hauled the rest of it to the junkyard. The deals are out there, just gotta be patient. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got my 3/4ton set 14boltFF with posi and a 10bolt, both had 4.10's and good brakes.Paid $400 complete at a truck only wrecking yard. The guy wanted $850 for the set but I offered $400 and told him that I knew perfectly well what things are worth. Go back and show the guy that you know what the hell your doing and they usually will come way down when they relize you don't have "sucker" written on your forehead. They always shoot high on prices in the beginning to see how much money they can get out of someone.

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds,big horse406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep your eyes open for old farm trucks. I snagged a 77 K20 for $150 with a D44 and 14BFF, 4:10 gears. I stripped off the axles, wheels &amp; tires, steering box and other assorted items. I ended up getting $20 for it when I hauled the rest of it to the junkyard. The deals are out there, just gotta be patient. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats how you play this game, ifnd old farm trucks or abandoned unwanted dead trucks and give next to nothing for them and strip them.
    you can end up with a ton of goodies for same amount that a headlight costs in a yard, it seems
    with lost title is even better cuz then you can tell them hey its alot of trouble to geta replacement title, then you can get it even cheaper or for free, and then jsut cut the framerails and cab up and scrap it after taking drivetrain.
    pawn off some of the cab to some one else who scraps metal, remove VIN plate just in case so no one sees it and says anything /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif you just never know,,

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

in south nj there is a junkyard that has about 20 2wd pickups with 14bolts in them... i went there lookin for a steering pump to start my crossover setup.... i told him i needed the carrier out of one of those trucks... he said i could have the entire axle for $50..... so they are there....

it is in audobon next to berlin airport ( which is a tiny airport.... ) if any of you want i can give better directions..... lemme know...

16. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I agree, it's too much. We came across a frame with the axles on it (14FF/Dana44, 4.10's, open) for $60 from someone we know. Sold my 1/2 ton stuff for $60. I had a 14 bolt with 3.73's from a previous deal that had limited slip, so we swapped some stuff around and I have the limited slip with my 4.10's. Mind you, I spent several hundred to replace tie rod, ball joints, u joints, and brake parts but at least it's all done!