Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help. What have I got?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jeff 86K5, Jun 2, 2000.

1. Jeff 86K5

Jeff 86K5 Registered Member

Howdy folks,

My questions for the day are....

Is my Blazer lifted? And by how much?

There is 22 inches from the top of the front lock out hub straight up to the lip of the chrome trim on the fender. Is this the normal distance?

Anyway, when I bought it a few years ago, I think it was already lifted. The guy I bought it from told me it was and the steering wheel was off a quarter turn. I adjusted the drag link and got rid of that.

I don't have any blocks under it, so I'm assuming it is a spring lift.

The back is an inch or so lower than the front. How is the best way to level it up?

I think I need shocks, should they be longer than stock?

My tires are BFG AT 32's, I'm going to try 33's next. Think 35's will fit?

I'm going to try to attach a picture, don't know if it will work.

Sorry for so many questions, but thanks for the help.

Jeff 86K5

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

look at your front springs. Are there 2-3 leaves that bend down on the ends? Or do you have 4-6 leaves that bend up on the ends(look similar to your rear springs)

If you front spring ends bend down(like an upside down U) then you have stock springs in the front and there for your Blazer is more than likely not lifted!

Let me know what you find out!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean. Mine is stock, and it looks lifted a little.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

4. Jeff 86K5

Jeff 86K5 Registered Member

3 leaves in the front with the ends turned up. Do you think maybe they have been turned over?

My main concern is what shocks to get.

Thanks

Jeff 86K5

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Doesn't sound stock to me. Take one more look at something. This will tell you if someone just turned the springs upside down. Look at the ends of the springs, where the bolt to the frame and shackle. The main leaf should come arcoss and then curl up and around the bolt.(sorry, you probably already know this). If the springs curls down and around the bolt, then someone did "flip" the springs. If it is curled up, like it is supposed to, then you have aftermarket springs.
    The best way to get the right shocks, is take many measurements.
    ** Take all measurements on the shock from middle of the top stud to middle of the bottom stud***
    First, measure the shock while the Blazer/Jimmy is sitting level.
    Second, do you have access to a forklift? If so, lift the tire in the air until the tire stops moving into the fnederwell. Take another measurement. This will be your compressed measurement.
    Third, lift the Blazer/Jimmy from the frame and let the suspension droop as far as it will and take another measurment. This will be your extended measurement.

This is what they will ask for when you call one of the shock companies and try to find the right shock.

One other thing, if the main spring curls up(meaning you have an aftermarket spring, are there any markings/stickers on the spring? If so this is probably a part number.

I had the heavy duty 3 leaf front packs on mine and they were bent down on the ends, so I think you may have aftermarket springs.

Let me know!!

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com