Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by alf4444, Oct 18, 2005.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for advice as to what can be done to get a neighbor to clean up his property. Before you start typing away here is the hardest part of the situation. Noone lives there, they abadonned their home at least 4 years ago. Calling them packrats is an understatement. They litterally had trails through out the home. Their home is paid for and I think the simply moved out to start over. Myself as well as the neighbors have made complaints to t-ville city and he has been cited for weeds twice, the second time he tilled the entire property dug trenches for a sprinkler system laid the pipe and left it, didn't even backfill, that was 2 years ago now its dirt weeds and trenches. The hole place is littered with crap including an old POS ramcharger that hasn't moved in 10 years. The only time we see anyone over there is after a citation or to use the county clean up dumpsters once a year, except today my wife saw someone over there with the sheriffs dept. then earlier this evening his son-in-law came hauling ass down the street threw a bunch of stuff in his truck and hauled ass out of there. Because of his speed I yelled at him to slow down as he passed because my kids were outside playing but he didn't have the balls to stop and back up his mouth, he said a few choice words out the window.

Thank you for reading this long rant and please give me any advice as to what could be done.

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Tust me I've thought about it :eek1:

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

strip the truck for parts, dodges had some neat stuff too :D

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I've thought about that to but this thing isn't worth it there isn't much to salvage :rolleyes:

6. gauder

gauder Banned

Fire, fire, fire. ;)

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just a idea but post a letter to the editor in the local paper. this seems to get the town wheels moving on the problems at hand. i have seen this work meany a time in my area . like this week we got the bad section of roads fixed on my block after almost 1 year. not fixed perfedt but much much better.

also could start a petition in the area as to the condition and proporty value drop in the block and see what the town will do.

good luck.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Buy it??..

There are a few similar situations in nearby towns in my area..one is a guy who's grandfather took in every junk car,truck,tractor,and just about anything else at his "farm"--its always been more of a junkyard than a farm--but its been "grandfathered" so long,the city can't really do too much about it!..

Despite citing him many times,and fining him,he just refuses to do anything about it--when the city got tough,he hired a lawyer--now the city is pissed to find out they cant do much about it..I bet eventually the EPA will be called in,and that will get the ball rolling--but its been 55 years,and they haven't succeeded in getting him to clean up the place..now that yuppies live in condo's nearby,they are upset about the "eyesore".. :rolleyes:

One guy was so fed up with an abandoned house with old cars and junk piled everywhere at the house next door to him,trash everywhere,beer cans,etc..he called the town,health dept,and the cops every time kids were seen in the house(used it for a crack house,and a sex orgy party place!)..but they could not do much if the owners didn't press charges--and they finally found out who the owners were, an elderly couple--one moved to Florida after the other one died,and nobody ever thought about WHY the place was empty!..(its in a sparsley populated rural part of town)..

As soon as the guy next door tried to locate the owner,and asked about buying it,a son appeared out of nowhere,who lived a few towns away!..he told him to "stay off MY land!"--and if he heard any more complaints,he'd "kick some A$$"!!..he looked like a tough customer,a "bada$$ biker" was the description I heard..

The guy calls the cops,and tells them he now knows who "owns" the property--they investigate,using the licence plate #,they get his adress..and find several outstanding warrants on him for drug possession,and sexual assault!..he was arrested,and ended up doing time in jail..

After a year went by,the guy next door went to the tax assesors office,and asked about the house and land..it was listed to be auctioned off for unpaid back taxes,and he ended up being the lone bidder,and bought the place.--and he learned the elderly owner had died in a nursing home--.I dont know what he paid,but I heard it was only a few grand--it had 2 acres of land,a decent lot--the house was trashed though,and it was torched a few months later!.(probably in retaliation ,by a friend of the "son" who inherited the place)..

.I waited on the guy who bought it at the parts store--he told my boss it cost him 12 grand to have the house demolished and removed,and all the trash picked up and disposed of!..one of the abandoned cars was a 1969 Mustang Mach 1--but it wasn't in very good shape,and no title..when the guy went to sell it,the guy who bought it had the numbers run--came back as stolen from NH in 1968.... :doah: . :eek1:

If this house your speaking of has been abandoned that long,it might pay to see if the taxes have been paid on it..its usually real estate agents and county officials who buy up places like that(or their relatives)..I bet you'll find the taxes are delinquent,if they seem to not care about the place,or ever go there..maybe YOU could own it instead! :D

9. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Unfortunatly the Taxes are paid I check regularly so that isn't an option. From the last time I talked to the owner he supposedly sold it to his son in law but the home is still listed under his name, he then went on to bitch about the fact that none of us neighbors noticed anyone steeling a four wheeler generator and compressor out of his back yard, Dumbass I didn't even know they were there with the 4 ft weeds and his back yard is surrounded by a feild so it would be easily accessable to anyone that would want to steal something without even entering the neighborhood.

10. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

if you can get someone "official" to say that the state of disrepare of this guys property directly affect the value of your home and home's in the area you could get together and bring some sort of class action suit against the guy. My bet is he chooses to clean up instead of pay up. If you and a bunch of homeowners nearby get together the lawyer fees should be minimal or you could get a lawyer to work, and pay him through what is won from the case. just an idea i don't know enough about the law yet to know if this would be a viable option but if it is, messing with someone's cash usually gets their attention rather quickly!

11. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Make a big sign that says "Free Stuff" and put it in the front yard and the back yard and watch it go away. :deal:

12. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just have the whole neighbor hood start useing the place as a dump and the city will make somone clean it up quick or find a bum and tell him he can live there if he cleans the yard :D

13. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. I have the same thing across the street from me but, the people still live there! Around here in the summer you need to cut your grass at least once a week this asshole goes 4 weeks. He's got as of right now 6 vehicles in his yard: 2 licensed/registered, 2 w/ antique plates and 2 not registered. He's been visited by neighborhood services and zoning. But he'll see when the cops come to tag the unregistered vehicles. They don't screw around. They have pissed my wife off so much, she's wanting to run them out of the neighborhood. Just for background, these people can't even pay their bills, they borrow money from his grandfather and her parents every month. Every week his mom buys them groceries. I ran into them at the supermarket once and there he was shopping with his mom, this guy is 33 yrs old w/ a wife and kid! I know this because we use to socialize with them and when his wife is drunk she just goes on and on. He f-up when he called my wife bitch and the relationship went down from there. My wife could joke around and be mean if she wanted but bit her tounge up until the bitch part. She laid her out, but only because she asked my wife to tell her if there was any problems, so she did. After that we got an email and they stopped talking to us, that's when my wife told me about the bitch part, it was context thing meant to put my wife down in front of other people. Oh well, enough ramblin.

14. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

:D Here is a copy of the response I just got from the city from my email last night! :laugh:

Allen,

Than you for your inquiry and concern. The City is in the process of taking care of this property. The owners have a deadline of Nov. 1 to have the property cleaned up, including removing the junk vehicle. Also, they are supposed to have their front yard landscaping in "good" condition by the deadline. If they fail to do any of the above, we will file a criminal action against the property owners.

We have also filed a criminal action against the property to the north of this one for lack of maintenance.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Nick Norris
    City Planner
    City of Taylorsville

15. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

:waytogo:

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not saying too do anything, but wouldn't it be a shame if the house burnt down ?? I would never tell anyone too comit a crime, but I'm not the type too tell on anyone that did.

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Must have been some damn kids smoking behind the house.... :whistle:

18. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status