Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help...What would you do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wsudu, Dec 28, 2001.

1. wsudu

wsudu Registered Member

ok...I'm driving and I hear a crunch, look out on the street, theres my driveshaft...damn. So I put new joints in and start it up...When I put it in drive, step on it ...Nothing. So I look underneath.....That rear shft is just spinning away. So...I havent looked yet but ....either the gears or an axle, right. I am a poor college boy, So would you either put gears in (new), or get an entire rear end from a salvage yard. Mind you I have never done this ever, but I am inclined. I can get all the tools... Is putting a new set or gears in that hard? What does it entail. 83' Full 3:08's (stock) Thanks WSUDU

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

All ready done that once and put the spare rear end in. Junk yard SHOULD have 10 bolts for like $35 and a couple hours to replace

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

3. Definately get a rearend from a salvage yard. Unless you rebuild rearends professionaly, it is not a job to be taken lightly, and to have someone else do it will cost $$$. Save the broken rearend to rebuild w/ bigger gears or scrap it. Most will tell you to upgrade now, but if money is tight, a 10 bolt shouldn't run more than $100.

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well if you are running 33's with 3.08's and your 400 is really putting out 425hp as you claim, you better get a 14B. it would be much cheaper to get a 4.10 14B then regear the front/swap front. than to regear a 10b or to keep buying new ones every month or so.

I had this delima &amp; splurged to get the 1 ton conversion. no more broken parts for me[​IMG]! it just too bad my tranny itself is the new weakest link[​IMG][​IMG]

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]