Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help...Whats that Niose!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90idahoblazer, May 26, 2002.

1. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Today I started my rig and heard a noise ....sounded like clacking. So I got out and opened the hood....I narrowed the noise to the left valve cover...with the engine running I put my hand on the cover and felt a sort of slapping...What could it be.....Lifter....valve....is it easy to fix....

Thanks in advance

Tom

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Start with the simplest - torque your rocker arms. I had a C10 with a 250 and they were forever loosening up and making all sorts of noise. Being a rather odd sort, I cured the problem by swapping in a 292/forums/images/icons/wink.gif, but a onceover with the torque wrench works just as well!

3. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

sounds like a loose rocker arm. The hardest part about tightening it is fetting the valve covers off. I did this on my 86 and it took me forever to get them off. Hopefully the noise is coming from the passenger side head, becausethe right is a real pain to get out without removing the A/C pump(if you have one). A word of caution, when you identify which rocker is loose, only tighten it a little say a quarter turn and see if that fixes the noise. If not give it another quarter an so on. If you just go in a tighten down as much as possible, you will bend the valve and have to have the head rebuilt. Make sure you have a chiltons of hanes guide handy.

4. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

thanks guys