Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP, Whats the best way to get my stubborn intake off?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camokrawler, Apr 11, 2006.

1. camokrawler

camokrawler Registered Member

My stock intake doesnt want to come off gently, what the best, least harmful way to remove it (properly) I need an answer asap if u can thanx
    camokrawler

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

hook an engine hoist to it and lift? i'd unbolt mind and try that if i couldnt get it to pry off

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you don't have a engien hoist use a pry bar and get it in the seal at the front of the block, that way if you scrach the surcafe it is not as big of a deal as scraching a intake gasket surface. Also make sure you got all the bolts out, on a dirty engine it is very easy for a bolt to hide under some grease and dirt

4. camokrawler

yep forgot a bolt covered in dirt, but i got it off now. felt like a dumba$$ there is alot of what i think is carbon on the sides of the valley. is this normal? i am clean out the valley really good be4 i pull the pushrods and lifters

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

carbon is normal, be carful cleaning out the lifter valley though, if a lot of the crud falls into the crank case it can clog up your oil pump, last time i did a intake swap i used a shop vac to suck up the stuff while i was scraping it off, it worked really well

6. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

C4/detcord.:saweet:

7. camokrawler

alright guys, i am now down to the lifter valley and was trying to be as careful as possible and pick out as much of the crud as i could so i am not too worried. i will change the oil as soon as i break in my cam. i the the timing marks aligned and started pulling pushrods just b4 dark so i'll pull the rest of them in the morning, double check all the mating surfaces and drop in the cam and slap on the intake and if all goes right, it'll run. get r done.
    camokrawler