Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! Wheel bearing question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

How do I remove the spindle-shaft bearing (inside the spindle shaft and the axle goes through it). And how come the seal is so hard to find for that?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had the best luck with 2 brass drifts. One was small and I cocked it sideways in the spindle and used the larger one to beat on it with a hammer (2# baby sledge). I don't know if there is a way to get it out in one piece (both of mine came out in like 50).

I didn't have any problem at all finding the seal (which comes in the kit with the new bearing). It should be SKF #CR BK1. I got mine at pep girls

3. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

to answer you questions the inner spindal seal I don't belive is sold as one unit you have to buy the whole kit 706527X dana spicer# and GM is the same (i think) Also if your working with First gen spindal you might as well forget finding the outer spindal seal that is pressed into the spindal....I don't how far your in your project but 73 on spindals and shafts are compatiable...If it's just the inner bearing seal you looking for I Have some brand new one's in the shop with detalied GM print out of the Dana 44...I ask for just the cost of shipping on you part... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

the why i do it is rent the tool from chief auto parts
    a slide hammer with 2 or 3 hook end attachment
    then retun it when i done
    or if its a emergency or field fix its basically like Trigade all ready said pull the axle then just mount it back on the knuckle with 2 or 4 nuts only then just use a long strong drift or srewdriver or even a good long stroong bolt through the hole and hit it meadium hard and just work your way around the bearing it will pop out then reinstallt he new bearing with a scocket the same diameter as the bearing

5. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Alright, Thanks for the input, guys. After picking up a bearing puller (w/ the U shaped "stirrup" and the reverse claws, and having it not work, I finally took it to a shop and for $21.00 they removed it for me. This project also caused me to pick up a parts washer (yay! really cool!) and a small 6 ton press. Now I'm set. Anyone else need to do this, I'm rockin' and rollin'! Also, thank God for Harbor Freight opening in Madison. Anyway, I will be all set for the other side now!