Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Wheel falling off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coloradoblazers, Mar 1, 2002.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This week i was driving my blazer home when it started to vibrated bad. I pulled into a gas station and checked the tire pressure. My front drivers side was low. I filled it and went on my way. The vibrating continued, and now was ginding. I went back to the school and had a buddy watch everything as a drove. As i was backing up, the lugnuts on the front started falling off, and were followed by the wheel. It sheered off one of the studs on its way( it seems the only appropriate cure would be to replace the entire front end with a dana 60) IT seems that the nuts were loosend so the wheel was being ground by the calipers cause the wheel was loose. I am wondering if some F*ck loosend them, or if there is anyway they could come loose on their own. I have one locking nut per wheel, but if someone at school had them too they could use their key.

K5- because size DOES matter!
    <font color=blue> <a target="_blank" href=http://www.coloradok5.com/gallery/Bucks-Truck>
    Fear This </a>
    </font color=blue>

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You could easily replace the wheel studs. Just have the rotor/hub out and press or pound the new ones in. Check the holes in the hub to make sure they didn't hollow out from being rode on when the studs were loose. If that's the case, you'll have the replace the hub (can be easily found at most bone yards). Keep the lugs tight after that. A D60 won't cure your problem if someone keeps loosening your lugnuts.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Are the rims new? Sometimes, with new rims, the lugs cann loosten if they are only tightened once.

When I got new rims, I zipped the lugs on, then off, and back on again. This puts an impression in the rims so they don't loosten over time.

Just a though,

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

4. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I think I agree. The only possible way to cure this is to step up to a D60. The studs are bigger therefore they have more threads and the wheel won't fall off as fast. Or something.[​IMG] Good enough excuse for me.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps