Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help wheel movement problem, balljoint?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83_chevy_blazer, Dec 2, 2003.

1. 83_chevy_blazer

83_chevy_blazer Registered Member

ok so i thought it was my wheel bearings even a mechanic told me that was the problem but it seems to be something else. i raised the front axle on my blazer up and shook it. the movement seems to be coming from where the axle connects to the stering knuckle. it is the upper joint and has a cotter pin through the bolt. with 35's i measure maybe 1 cm of movement at the tire's edge. how do i go about fixing this. should i just tighten doen the bolt ar will that worsten things.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you are getting an up/down movement between the knuckle and axle housing you will have to replace the ball joints and have the front axle re-aligned. Also a good time to replace the wheel bearings while you have it apart if funding allows.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt bother getting it aligned unless you ****ed with the castle tooth nut screw in the axle itself, thats my own opinoin, i did all 4 and didnt mess with the alignment, and im fine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need to do the the ball joints. Most likely they failed because you didn't have proper ball-joint preload. Get a good manual and follow the steps on doing the job. Replace the ball-joint preload adjuster and set it properly or you will have to do the job all over again in not too long of a time. Also either get the adjuster socket WAY ahead of time (hard to find) or just make your own like I did (and many others have done...do a search if you want more info on this). Don't worry about getting the alignment off as there is only one adjustment from the factory!...the toe (which you won't be messing with anyway).