Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! Wierd noise coming from front or middle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudbog42, Feb 23, 2007.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Ok Just started yesterday, I here this wierd like metal banging sound while driving,:eek1: it sounds as if some piece of metal or something was connected to the tire and spinning around with it hitting the truck,:crazy: I've never heard this sound before so its hard for me to explain, but I have no clue what it could be.:confused: I think its coming from the front left, but could possibly be in the middle of the truck:rolleyes:

I just parked it last night because it started to get worse as I drove on it
    Has anybody had this problem before or know what it is?:1zhelp:

86 K-5 with manual hubs

2. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

is it a constant noise or does it seem to go with the rotation of the tire.. could be ujoint

3. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Yup must be a ujoint because I pulled the front driveshaft and the bearing cap on the front one fell off and all was rusted inside, then drove around with it off and it went away.

So do you know where I can get some spicer u-joints and can I replace them myself or should I take it to a driveshaft shop

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  4. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

I dont know where you would find them locally but you can call around to 4x4 shops or driveshaft shops and they will probably have them. Or I have found them here:
    http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catalog/product/spicer_u_joints/

If you have a factory service manual or Haynes manual it will tell you how to change them out, it is pretty easy for most of them. Just be careful to not let the caps fall off and let any needle bearings fall out.