Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP.........Wierd spinning vibration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Slayer, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=blue>Okay gang, the last couple of days, while driving around, I come to a stop, and there's this spinning vibration, like my front drive shaft was spinning and then slowing down once I stopped.

It took a couple of seconds for it to stop, even though the truck was at a full stop.

I was in 2WD, front manual hubs free and unlocked, and although the front drive shaft rotates easily, I don't see how it would start rotating on it's own, and then come to a spinning stop, once the truck stopped.

Has anyone every run across this type of spinning vibration???
    </font color=blue><font color=green>
    I am completely confused............. I was actually thinking about tying a nylon strap around the front drive shaft and the frame to see if that stopped the vibration.

It only seems to happen when driving for several minutes at a constant speed (over 45), then slowing quickly.

Call me Confused in Colorado, L8r, Slayer

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>&lt;img src="http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif"&gt;
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Slayer on 12/17/01 06:43 PM.</FONT></P>

2. slider79blazer

slider79blazer 1/2 ton status

never heard of that before. your 4 wheel shifter isn't stuck in between gear selections is it? where abouts in colorado i'm in littleton?

<font color=blue>whats a 4 letter word for farm wagon?-- ford</font color=blue>[​IMG]
    <font color=red>http://community.webshots.com/user/slider79blazer</font color=red>

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How's this for a wild guess.....?[​IMG]

One of our work trucks had a mildly similar problem. It ended up being a bad bearing in one of the pulleys(I don't remember which one- maybe the power steering?) I can't recall what the problem was, but I *THINK* it had something to do with the way the torque of the motor was transfered during deceleration.

Other than that, all I can think of is maybe a cracked flywheel or a loose tranny crossmember......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

4. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Out east of Colorado Springs. Far enough that my co-workers give me crap about being in Kansas. It's just about 25 miles east as the crow flies, and more as the road weaves.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Front driveshaft can and will spin even though your unlocked. It's sort of a fliud drive when the oil in the case or the grease in the hubs drags it along even though it's putting no load on the drivetrain. You can take the 4 screws out of your shift boot and pull it up and watch the shaft as you drive.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

6. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>THANKS GRIM!
    </font color=blue><font color=green>
    I did just that, saw the shaft spin, and went back to my idea of tying a nylon and velcro tie down to keep it from happening.
    </font color=green><font color=red>
    It is absolutely GREAT that I can throw ANY question at the forum, and come up with an answer. Since becoming a CK5 member, I have solved 3 minor problems and 1 semi-major problem with Youse'Guys help. Thanx again.
    </font color=red><font color=blue>
    L8r, Slayer
    </font color=blue>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]