Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Windows Xp Log-in!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rob 85K5, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My mother has lost her password to log-in on her XP system, though she says she never had a password. Her past taxes are on this computer as well as the accounting and taxes for my grandfather,just deceased.

Please help, she needs to get all this info to the tax man for my grandfather's estate.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

When the machine boots up and reaches the logon screen, have her hit alt/ctrl/del twice, and in the box for username, type "administrator". Leave the password blank, and see if that lets her in. If it doesn't have her try any password she's ever set on this machine (the admin password is usaully set when you first get the computer and turn it on).There's a utility that you can download as an ISO file, which is a CD image file, that will allow you to boot to the CD and reset the admin password. I've had great luck with it the 2 or 3 times I've had to use it on disgruntled ex employees... I can't remember the name of it or a place to download it right now, but if I can boot up my laptop later, I'll send it to you, I have the CD image file stored there (it's like 1mb).

Once you can get into the admin account, go to start->run and type "cmd", then hit enter. You'll get a "dos" screen. At the prompt, type "Net user [your mom's username] NewPassword" and hit enter. This will reset that password to whatever you put in place of NewPassword. Reboot, and have her logon with her account and that new password.

3. Rob 85K5

the damn thing is even asking for an administrator password.. looks like the ISO thing is the way. I will PM you her email address. I am using it at the moment.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

On it's way, but it was actually a 2.2mb file...

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Have you tried loggin on in safe mode or as an admin? It's F8 or something at startup. I can't think straight right now, sorry

6. Rob 85K5

We got it to work. THanks soo much for your help

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

What brand is the computer, and is the XP installation that's on it a factory image?