Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with 10 blot rear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PineyPower, Sep 25, 2001.

1. PineyPower

PineyPower Registered Member

help i just bought my frist chevy blazer and blew the gears that are on top and bottom of the gears going to the axel gears and don`t no where i can find or what they are called if anyone could help me like with a digram or what the are called,or even where i could find them i would appricate it ....

2. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I believe those are the spider gears. And if you blew them already you may want to considder swapping in a bigger axle, say 12 or 14 bolt. But I will let the folks with more experiance and knowledge on axles guide you farther.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Inside the carrier, you will have a ring gear, a pinion gear, and spider gears.

Ring Gear: The biggest of all of them. It is positioned parallel to the tires
    Pinion Gear: It makes contact with the ring gear and is connected to where the axle shaft comes in. (looks somewhat like a cone)
    Spider Gears: This is the gear pack (4 gears) that are located inside the carrier (big metal tube with the sides cut out).

It sounds to me that you blew the carrier gears (spider gears). Most people who are serious about their truck, take this opportunity to upgrade the 10 bolt. You may want to look around for a 12 or 14 bolt with the same gear ratio as you have. Sometimes it's even cheaper then having the stock 10 bolt rebuilt.

I've got a good picture of the inside of a 10 bolt at home. If you still wanna see it, I can email it to you when I get home.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <a target="_blank" href=http://stoopalini.off-road.ws/blazer>My Blazer Site</a>

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually, the two biggest gears are the ring and pinion, the two gears on the sides are, of all things, called side gears, and the two that rotate on the pinion shaft (piece of metal that goes through the carrier) are also called pinion gears.

Schemantics(SP?) aside, just go get another rear axle. I tried getting gears from some gear shop, they wanted $80 for either the side or pinion gears, not sure which, but with the axle bearings and what not already likely contaminated by metal particles from the destroyed gears, you are better off replacing everything, or replacing the whole axle.

If you are in the slightest bit hard on the truck (off roading, peeling out) you would be best to upgrade now instead of shelling out the bucks for something you will undoubtedly break again. If it was just a fluke that it broke, then by all means just get another used 10 bolt. But be realistic about your usage of the truck before buying something.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I bet you could go and buy a 10b to replace it from someone on here then you could go and buy spider gears from a shop.... I'd check into that if you don't want to upgrade axles or don't want to drop the cash to buy different ones....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

7. PineyPower

PineyPower Registered Member

ok i think i want to up grade now .How much a 14 bolt corporate going to run me..what kind of gears are packed in there cause i have 2.73`s

8. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I just read your bio, and unless you have tons of money, let me give you a little advice that I am sure probably everyone on this site would agree with. You said in your bio that you are looking for an 81 to 90 blazer. Thats cool, but if thats what you really want, dont put much more money into your 79 pick up. Just wait till you get the blazer and build it up the right way. If you really want to build up your pick up, then forget about the blazer.The reason I say this becuase This is an extremely addictive and expensive hobby. Dont make your decisions too fast, becuase it is not worth the money. Your bio said that you are running 36 inch tires on 2.73 gears and 10 bolts, thats why you brok it to begin with. If you want to build your truck up right, Get a 14 bolt rear with at least 4.56s and a dana 60 Front, Then when your tranny blows, have a high Performance tranny built fot it, Then look into 1 ton drive shafts and u joints... It is a hobby that is consuming, and if you make a decision to quick, it will result in spending that money twice. Take it from someone who knows. When I frist turned 16, all I wanted was a k5 blazer with a soft top. I know have a k5 blazer with a 4 inch lift, 33s, soon to be 35s, a high performance custom built tranny, I am working on saving the money to have 4.56 gears put in, and i still dont have a soft top. You get sucked in, and before you realize what you are doing, you have spent 10000 dollars on the whole truck, and it still is not nearly as tuff as you would like it. I would love to put a 14 bolt rear and dana 60 front in mine, but I cant afford it, and even if i could i would then have to buy new wheels and tires which I also curently cant afford... Its one thing afetr another. So my advice to you is this. Pick one truck you are going to be happy with for yeras to come. Do your reserch (and there is no better place to reserch than hear) And do it all, right, the first time...
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

9. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

OK I'm trying to talk you out of the 14 bolt if you afford it but if you can't (such as I couldn't) after I blew mine it is a bit more less expensive to call Randy's Ring and Pinion (cheapest I found) and order a locker, I used the lock-right, it ran me 250 plus shipping and multiplied the strengh many times over I love it so far, you do get a little noise from it when your cornering but nothing that the exhaust wont cover up

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com