Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with 10-Bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Aug 17, 2000.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

What is the capacity of a GM 10-bolt differential? I can't for the life of me loosen my fill plug, so I am forced to fill my diff. through the vent tube. But I don't know how much to put in. Is there anything wrong with filling my diff through the vent tube?

2. 65FL

65FL Registered Member

I just went through this a while ago. What I did is buy a bung, pull the cover, drill it
    and install the bung. The bung is basically a large hollow bolt, with a smaller bolt
    through the middle used for filling. Make sure that you use red thread locker on the
    large bolt and nut. The problem with using the vent is that any dirt in it will be flushed
    into the housing. Mine was so bad I had to use a stiff wire to clean it out while trying to
    catch the debris. I don't recall the capacity.

65fl

3. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

I just recently topped mine off with around 2.5 quarts. I jacked up the right side of the axle and was able to fit the last half quart in. My pinion seal leaks so I feel better having a little extra in there. It's very important to make sure the outer bearings get lubricated so I would say to put in between 2.5-3qts.

-Rick

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Mine hold 2.5 too

90K5