Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with 14B FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wforicv, Jan 20, 2005.

1. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Busted my 10 bolt last weekend. I thought I had a free Dana 70 but it turned out to be a 60 :mad: . I will be on a junkyard hunt this weekend and need a little help with the Gov lock thing on the 14B FF. Will a detroit go into a 14B FF that came with a Gov lock? I have heard that I need an open carrier 14B to drop in a detroit. How do I identify a Gov lock and does anyone have any pics that will help me out?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A detroit for the 14 bolt FF does have to go into an open diff. I would run the D60 if it has the right gears, they are still fairly strong. The gov-lock will have 3 crosspins through the diff and an open carrier will have 4.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here is a pic of a gov-lock taken apart. You can see where the 3 pins would go.

[​IMG]

Open diff has 4 pins
    [​IMG]

4. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Thanks divorced. So if I find a 14B FF just open it up and take a look, right?

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, that's the besy way to be sure. By "open up" you mean just take the cover off, right? You don't have to actually pull the carrier and open it to tell if it's open or not. Obviously you won't be able to see all of the pins at the same time, but you will be able to tell by how the ones that you do see are oriented. You can tell if they look like they are at 90 degrees to each other or not. You can also check the gear ratio and condition of the gears and oil to be sure you get what you want.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can mark one of the pins and turn the pinion too if you're dumb enough not to realize the orientation thing like me :D If you're gonna go with a 14 bolt, don't settle for anything less than what you want, there are an absolute ton out there so it's not worth taking on a junker like it is with some axles.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

hay divorced . thats the best pics i have seen for the 14ff question problem that seems to come up a lot around here . good job buddy.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks, they aren't actually my pics but they do a good job of showing the 3 or 4 pin differences. I have been thinking about suggesting a FAQ forum for write ups and pics of common questions. These write ups will just contain factual information and can only be added to or changed by mods or the boss so they don't get overun with useless info. For example, a 14 bolt write up could contain gov-lock and open diff info, disc brake swap, how to tell if it's a ff or sf, torque values, weight, dimmensions (spring pad width) and so on, all with good pictures. Maybe make it an axle page that includes pics to tell the difference between a D44, 10 bolt, and a D60 and suspension torque specs. Maybe also tranny and t-case pics to help people identify what they have. Maybe have a suspension modification area with pics of 52's and 56's up front, relocated shackles, and shackle flips. If you have a pic of your new homebrew shackle flip you could send it to a mod and they can post it. I think it would be cool to have a page with a bunch of pics to give me ideas on things to do. I live in the rust belt and have no problem removing steering arms with no penetrating oil in less than 10 hits. I plan to make a video the next time I do one to show that it can be done, and a picture or video is worth more than any amount of words sometimes. With a few pages that cover our newbie FAQ's we could simply link them to that page and they can ask specific questions if there is something they still don't understand or is not covered, and it would be a good specs reference for everyone else. It would be a lot easier than digging up info and pics for the same questions that get asked every couple days, or sometimes a couple times a day. I know there is a tech article write up forum, but a lot of this basic info isn't there.

9. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Those are some really good ideas for common qustions.:D

I have noticed since I'v been hanging around here a lot of the same topics come up , but being new to 4X4ing myself it's all good

This place makes me crazy , there is so much to do and no funds to do it:(

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Pop the cover, you want it to look like this:[​IMG]

A goc lock is smooth and you can see the clutches. Oh, dont mind the yellow circles.

11. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for all the help. I know this is a common question and I did many searches. Just wanted some pics and needed to know exactly what to look for. I will post pics of my new 14B FF all locked up soon :D .

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

No problem. This is the most friendly forum in the world, and we're always glad to help. :thumb: