Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with 14bff swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, Nov 27, 2004.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I am trying to swap out the rear 10b for a 14bff, and am stuck trying to unloosen the brake lines from the fitting just above the housing (where both brakelines from each rear wheel meet). I used a 3/8 wrench for fittings, but the fittings won't loosen. Without this, I can't get txle off. Already have everything else unbolted. Any suggests??

If I can't get this done, looks like the axle swap isn't happening this weekend, and no 35s /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

You'll probably wind up having to replace the brake hose after doing this, but it will get the lines loose...use heat... /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

Good luck!

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You shouldn't be using a standard 3/8" wrench. A special 3/8" wrench should be used that wraps almost all the way around the brake fitting. I forgot the name of them though. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I stripped a brake fitting once myself and used a pair of vice grips to grab on to it tight and it came loose. Also if you have one of those little propane torches, heat the fitting up just a LITTLE, remember that you have fluid inside the line. I wouldn't use a oxy/acc torch.

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Use a line wrench. You can also Ice or dry ice the line above and below the fitting and a little heat on the nut. Good luck I am about to do this myself. Ya think if lines have been on a truck for 34 years they might be a little tough to remove???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Good thing I have everything new. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Use a line wrench.

[/ QUOTE ] Thats the name I couldn't remember. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Like the others suggested, use a flare nut wrench and a little heat if needed.

Here is a pic:
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

Exactly what I was using. Thanks for the replies. I ended up using a little heat and a smaller Vise. Ended up changing out the line with a ProComp 4" extended brake line.