Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with 1995 Dodge neon (general electrical)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, May 8, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Car: 1995 Dodge neon automatic, 130k.
    After it sat for a while, the car still started without any problems. Drove it around, no problems. Then the problem started 2 weeks later. Turn start key, the starter clacks at me. The usual, "I dont have enough juice" clack. Ok, so I get out the booster pack, and she roars to life, but then dies after like a minute . Jump it again, and she's fine untilyou shut off.

Ok, so I figured, maybe the battery is just low from sitting around. I take the battery out, clean it off, top off with distilled water, and give it a good charge on the auto charger. Charges up, voltage is good, checks out ok. All the contacts have been cleaned off and scrubbed.

Put battery back in, same thing. The lights are nice and bright, and its not draining in power. But its still clicking. Put on booster pack, starts up again.

Any ideas???? I might try replacing the acutal cable terminal head cause there was some serious corosion. I scrubbed it with a wirebrush, but maybe its not enough still on the inside?

2. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

yeah, we had the same problem with our Kubota tractor. I'd just replace the actual terminal head. if the problem is still occuring i'd follow the main wire to look for any unseen corrosion, possible cuts. thats about all i can say...

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

well, finally fixed it. Turns out that the battery itself was also toast. (it was like 4 years old anyways). new battery, new terminal, and voila, works.