Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with 456 superior gears in a 12bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BADRED73-N-AZ, Apr 9, 2002.

1. BADRED73-N-AZ

BADRED73-N-AZ Registered Member

I am setting up 456 gears and a detroit locker in my 12 bolt. What I am wondering is if anyone has used Superior gears. They seem to be quite a bit rougher and not as much contact pattern as the dana spicers I just put in the front. This is really my first time setting up gears. I have a good Chilton and have talked to a few guys who know about gears. My front seems to be right on as far as the pattern and backlash, but the rear superior gears seem a whole lot rougher when I turn the pinion and my contact pattern is quite a bit narrower. I think the depth is good, it's right in the middle of the teeth, but the pattern is still just a little bit high, and I can't seem to adjust it any better. I was wondering if the superior gears are just this way not as smooth, not as much contact or if I am just doing something wrong. Thanks for any help/

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

21 views and no help
    that sucks, wish I could help

3. steve85fla

steve85fla Registered Member

I would advise you to get someone to look at it who is experienced. You can adjust the pinion depth , also the carrier left to right by adding or moving shims. The contact patch has to be correct, as well as the backlash. I am not the most knowledgeable, but I hate to see MJ disapointed!

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

cool I dragged a 'lurker' out

5. steve85fla

steve85fla Registered Member

6. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

The mechanic at the shop I used to work at, told me one time that when he does those, he just makes sure the pattern is centered left to right, and didn't worry too much about up and down, as long as it wasn't way off. We never had any vehicles come back with problems. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I run "Precision Gear" ring and pinions. They work great for me. They are a little pricier but they're worth the quality. I think we only had to add .030 to the pinion on the rear and the toothpattern and backlash was perfect! I would highly recommend them to anyone. I'm pretty sure they are set-up to be within .050 of the factory set-up.