Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with 4x4 Front Ideas for 72 C20??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72longbed, Feb 5, 2005.

1. 72longbed

72longbed Registered Member

Hello CK5 members,
    I'm new here and would like to ask for some help with a radical (not really) idea that I have. I have a 1972 C20 longbed pickup that I am converting to 4x4. My idea is to leave the coil spring front crossmember in place and assemble a front suspension similar to a 78-79 Ford F150 4x4 Coil and Radius Arm setup. I intend to use a GM Dana 44 front axle (8 Lug), and I was going to get all of the front suspension pieces from a wrecked 79 F150 4x4. But the biggest problem is the 'Diamond' shaped mounts that are welded to the Ford axle tubes where the radius arms collars bolt around. I don't want to cut them off a Ford axle and re-weld them to a GM Dana. I will also need a way to mount the coils spring lower cups to the new front axle??

What I'd like to know is if anybody has done a setup like this, or knows of a company that could sell me the necessary parts to assemble a Radius Arm/ Four Link front attachment that would include the lower coil spring perch/cup for a Dana 44?? I would bet that there is a company out there that sells a kit to attach 'arms' or 'links' to a Dana 44 with all the Heim Joints and brackets included?? I just haven't been involved in 4x4's long enough to know about them?? I'll probably use my 2WD Power Steering box with a Crossover linkage setup on this axle.

If you could point me in the right direction or give me the names of companies that do this type of work, or give me your input if you have built this type of front suspension, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    72longbed
    suprtuff@fast.net

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have some pics i can send you. and if you can find a 44 ford frt use it and then use a modified ford tcase or divorced tcase so the drop is a driver side. then its easy.

3. 72longbed

sweetK30,

let me understand are you saying I can use a Ford Dana 44 complete with the coil perches on the axle in the Ford location? Would the Ford coil perches be the right width to match up with the 72 Chevy upper coil pockets? Then theres the question of my 8 lug rear and the Ford Dana44 5 or 6 lug front?? Can the Ford Dana rotors/spindles be switched to GM 8 lug?? Someone had said that the Ford Dana 44 has whats called a "High Pinion" and that It would hit my 2WD engine crossmember?? Is that true? Is there a Ford Dana 44 thats not a High Pinion that had the Radius Arm suspension??

I have an NP205 from a TH350 with the adapter in place. Can this T/C be used with the Ford front Dana axle?? I have a 700R4 in the truck now, and was going to adapt the 700R4 to it with a spacer plate.

Many questions for you, please answer what you can and I would definitly like to see the pics you refered to.

Thanks for your help with this,
    72longbed

4. 72longbed

5. sweetk30

send me your email address and i will email the pics to you . and the swap will require you to lift the truck most likly 3-4 " in hight . and the tcase that will need to be answered by some1 else. if it was me i would use a divorced tcase and then use a ford frt with the 8 lug gm stuff swaped over.. the 205 to 700 combo needs a 2" spacer to clear the cv style frt shaft. there has been a few threads on this in the past week or so. the divorced setup would solve all those problems .

p.s. where in pa do you live.?

6. 72longbed

sweetK30?

sweetK30, my e-mail address is:
    suprtuff@fast.net

My plan is to mount the rear axle UNDER the stock trailing arms, so that might equal about 6" lift in the back. The front will have to come up to that level somehow?
    What T/C would you use if I go with the Ford Dana 44 up front?? Do you think the GM 2WD crossmember coil cups and the Ford Dana 44 with the axle mounted coil spring perches will match up?? What years of Ford Dana 44's should I be looking for to do this build??

Thanks for all your help, really need to see those pics you mentioned,
    72longbed

BTW,
    I'm in the Pottstown, PA area.

7. 72longbed

Can You Hear Me Now??

I'm not sure if my Posts and responses are getting out to the members? I know I'm only a Guest here, but can somebody e-mail me back and let me know that these messages are getting out there please?

SweetK30,
    did you get my e-mail address for those pics??

suprtuff@fast.net

Thanks to All,
    72longbed

8. 72longbed

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have a '72 longbed that I am thinking of doing this to also. Articulation is not a big concern as mine will be a street/occasional wheeler truck. My plan is to use a D44 front and radius arms (I think these were in the 78-79 1/2 tons), move/modify/fabricate coil buckets on my frame to work with the D44. I may make them lower on the frame for more lift. Crossover steering is easy because it already has a 2wd box and the tie rod on the D44 is where the draglink connects. For the rear I want to use a 9" out of the same donor truck. It's a tough axle with good ground clearance, and the the gear ratio and lug pattern will match the front. Weld new perches on the top of the axle to locate it under the control arms, use a 2" block, and a lift spring to match the front if needed. Spring mounts, blocks, and u-bolts can be bought HERE. Use a divorced 205 from a Ford so I can still use my 2wd transmission without modification or fancy (expensive) adapters.

10. sweetk30

sorry for the delay its in your email box. happy reading.