Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with 52's new idea?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jan 19, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well im sure its not a new idea, but im planning on running 6" lift or so, and want to run 52s up front. i know i could use 2" lifted 52's, and i may end up doing that, but what about using stock 52's and adding a couple leafs to it? would that make it too stiff to be worth doing? Im not wanting to run a zero-rate this time (i ran one with regular lift springs, and the inspectors gave me a hard time cuz its a "block" they wouldnt listen to the fact that its bolted into the leafs)

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I mixed and matched from two sets of 52"s into my current set ... ended up with six leaves.

How much lift I ended up with, lordie only knows... I built custom front mounts, a la Kert's B-52 things (he didn't make them yet) and my fenders are whacked to oblivion (I cut out the rust :haha: )

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/six-leaf-front-springs-at-rest.JPG

HTH.

-- A

3. muddybuddy

so would you say you got close to 6" lift? i was also thinkin about making brackets like that to add some lift

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I think you're going to be stuck using lift springs. In order to net 6" lift, you'll need to gain about 2" extra over the springs. That would mean adding 2" to both front and rear shackles. If you just added 2" to one end, you're only going to gain 1" - approximately.

I think you'd be looking at making 8-9" shackles for the rear hanger. That seems like an awefully long shackle.

It seems like adding leaves would make the springs stiff, but maybe not horrible. For one thing the shackle angle will help. And installing the 52s is more about droop than compression. Seems like it would be hard to add too many leaves and get the staggers to come out right. What I mean is having more than one leaf the same length.

I don't know, seems like it would be hard gaining 2" without lift springs or a zero-rate.

Then move out west so you don't need safety inspections. I lived in Va Beach for 4yrs, BTW. (Navy)

5. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

how would running the shackles on the front work? like building a crossmember for the rear hangers and then mounting the shackles up front?? idea just kinda popped in my head. sorry for thread jackin

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It would be like a Jeep and it would suck as it would ride really ruff. As the spring compresses the axle would want to move forward rather than backwards. Jeeps and old fords are this way that is why they make a shackle reversal for them to put the shackle on the rear of the spring.

Ira

7. muddybuddy

alright i guess ill end up going with lifted TC's then since their spring rate is basically nothing :)

8. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

I see said the blind man.

9. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

Sorry to jack your thread, but if I'm building a '79 K10 on the cheap (as in 16 year old with no money, cheap), can I do a 52 inch spring swap on the front and still use the factory style steering? Because I can get the factory springs free, use the 52's up front for 4 inches of lift, 56's in the rear with a shackle flip, then run some 35's for some good wheeling that costs next to nothing. If not, it looks like I'll just use some 4" springs up front, which isn't a big difference to me, but I'd like the flex of the 52's to show up my XJ friends :D.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you are gonna flex 52s then you need crossover.

Ira

11. bigblazer87

Well, I know the ORD crossover kit is like $460, and that's too much cash to be dropping on steering for me, especially when it's my off roader; my DD K5 will get it first. Is there some way to do a crossover kit for really cheap? I can never find them used on eBay or craigslist, so any help is greatly appreciated.

12. mrk5

Just don't mess with the 52s in the front. There is not really a good way to do it cheap. First off it is *possible* to hook up factory steering, I have mine that way now to move it around the shop until the crossover is installed. BUT it wouldn't function for chit on the trail.

Then there's the front driveshaft. My front shaft is hooked up now, but just barely. We had to take the boot off and completely pull the two pieces apart, then just barely slide it back together. It just fits now.

Then there's brake lines and shocks. You don't want them limiting the potential of the 52s in the front.

If you want a flexy capable rig on the cheap, I recommend the following.

REAR: Shackle flip in the rear, 4". And if you want to get creative, swap the sides on the shackle flip and run a junkyard set of 56s.

FRONT: Get some short lift springs for the front 3" maybe or 4" since it's a pickup. K5's often need more in the back to get rid of the saggy butt. You can get some addition articulation in the front by moving the frame bushing for the rear shackle forward. Just roughly follow the procedure used in the 52" swap.

That's what I'd do in your situation. Should work well with 35s, but you can trim if necessary. You could probably find some good used lift springs for the front if you keep your eyes open.

13. bigblazer87

Thanks, that is what I'll probably end up doing. I'll look for a used 4" lift kit with steering corrections and shocks, pick it up for cheap, then do a shackle flip on the rear with a set of 56's I've got. There's a set of 10 bolts with 4.56 gears that a guy's selling for $400, if I get them for $300 or less, would they be worth it? Or would they be too low for 35's? The truck won't see the highway much at all, and the most it'll travel at is 55 mph. Thanks again for the help, I'd love to get my K10 completely finished this summer so I can have fun with it.

EDIT: What's involved with a 63"/64" rear spring swap? I know I use the shackle flip kit, but then what else is there to do? Because that's another possibility for me, since it's the same price for a 56" swap in the rear, unless it's unnecessary, and if 56" springs will get the job done in my situation.

14. mrk5

63" springs would probably require moving both hangers, front and rear.

If they're in good condition, that wouldn't be a horrible price especially if they are '88 or newer 30spline axles. If you've got 3.73s now, I wouldn't mess with it. 3.08s might be worth getting rid of. If you've just got a 3spd tranny, 4.56 would be a bit low. 55mph would be revvin' the motor up pretty good.

15. bigblazer87

Thanks, looks like I'll stick with the 56" swap.

It's got factory 3.08's in the 10 bolts right now, and a 350 with a TH350/203 combo. In that case, how about a set of 3/4 tons with 3.73 gears? The guy says he's firm on $400, but he's had them for sale for a while, so I might be able to beat him down on the price. Or there's a guy who has the 3/4 tons out of a K20 Sub, but he doesn't know what gears they are. What did they come with factory? That guys only asking $325 obo, plus I think he's closer to me. Then I'll have to find some 8 luggers for cheap... boy, oh boy, decisions, decisions...

16. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

You might have already figured this out. This hobby isnt much for budgets. You set a budget, and your gonna pass that quickly. Each little thing adds up, and you realize when you buy this, you need this...:doah: Im 19 and know exactly how you feel, and somehow i ended up nearly 3x my budget:doah:

17. muddybuddy

Holy cow, huge Hi-jack batman.

its ok:rolleyes: i decided im going to just go with lifted springs

18. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

i have 2" lift 52's up front and they flex awsome .. ride height and compression and droop was perfect .. then i ruined my compression by installing a big heavy nasty big block chevy ... now i can light up 44's but now im debating on running 4" lift ones .. rates are same but i lost compression .. maybe ill just hold off till i get the caddy5 finally built :dunno: ... i did reg 52's on buddies truck and we had no compression basically the lift ones we did and i jumped my truck 3 times with all 4 tires 5ft off the ground an it took it very well .. i vote for lift 52's .. why buy parts twice?

19. muddybuddy

yea i think im going to go with 3" lifted springs. can you repost up some of your flex pics? i dig your rig :) did removing the overload make a big difference?

20. bigblazer87

Yeah, I know. I just wish my '87 K5 wasn't so clean, because I would have wheeled that, but that has to stay my DD, so I decided against it. Not to mention the 39.5" tires on 10 bolts wouldn't like going off road much. This is why I'm building up this K10 I've got, since it's free (to me; my dad just wants it gone or driving), and it ain't too purty, so I don't mind cutting the fenders and kissing the rocks with it. Once I start gathering parts (whenever I get surplus $$$), I'll start up a project thread after I get my membership to this fantastic site.

basing110, your truck is freakin' wicked! Do you have a gallery or some additional pictures of that thing? I'd love to see more of your truck, it just looks so mean...:thumb:

And muddybuddy, sorry for the thread jack, but I figured since so many people in this thread have experience with 52's, I'd ask here. Hope you don't mind too much.:D