Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP with 73 K5 mods....please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by migs73soft_top, Feb 24, 2004.

1. migs73soft_top

migs73soft_top Registered Member

Hello fellow K5'ers. Although I have been viewing this site for about three years now (since I purchased my project) I am just now joining the membership because I finally have some time and a little funding to begin some of the modifications to my ride that I have read about over the last few years here. The first projects will be exterior fixing rust and body work and painting. I would like to swap out the doors first of all for some doors with power windows and locks. I realize that these doors will need to be cut in order to fit my application. My question to the forum is what is the newest year model that can I begin looking for at the salvage yards in order to give me the best results? Secondly.....I read a few post about a year ago where a member swapped out his front seats for seats out of a Dodge pick-up (bench seat with center flip up console). He had pics and everything. I have read many of the seat swap post and I was most impressed with the looks of this one. Can anyone tell me how to search for this post in the archives or give me any info on a similar swap. Thanks in advance for all your help.
    Mig

2. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Truck doors through 1987 and Blazer/Suburban doors through 1991. Use your old doors for templates. there are several different angle cuts required. I also used the inside support brackets from the old doors and welded them in the new ones. It took a couple of hours.

3. migs73soft_top

Thanks very much Baja.....I knew this is the kind of information that this forum is so valuable for. If you have time can you elaborate a little on the inside support brackets? Also open to any other members suggestions....especially on replacement seats. I don't really want to go with the offroad rock crawling style yet more toward the comfort side. I had a 97 Dodge Ram and I loved the way it sat as far as comfort.....that is why the application I saw here a good while back where the guy put the Dodge seats in his Blazer caught my attention. Thanks again Baja and thanks in advance to everyone else.
    Later,
    Mig

4. crookedunit

crookedunit Registered Member

As far as seats go, I used 2 bucket seats out of a '94 Suburban. I built brakets to mount the new sliders and it turned out pretty sweet. You can find both the single and double arm rest types. I liked the double arm rest so when you run no doors you feel a little more secure.
    What do plan on doing to your '73? I have a 73 K5 thats completely torn down to the bare frame sitting in my garage. If it doesnt rain this weekend I'll be sandblasting and painting. Then it's fun time!!!!
    I'll be using a 14bff,D60,SM465,205,HT383 and probably 38's.
    For lift I'm going with 6" springs in the front, ORD 4"drop shackles and 2" springs in the rear. Let me know what you find out with the doors 'cause I will be looking for "new" ones as well.

Later

5. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

Sounds like a fun truck to build, I do like the 73'. The only advise I can add is if you are going to modify doors to fit, do them one at a time. Also, make sure your door jams and rocker panel are in original position and unmolested. In otherwords, don't cut out your rockers or floor until you have a good fit. I'm not meaning to talk like you are in kindergarten, and I am the professor, but if you have not done these sort of modifications before, it is nice to control as many variables as possible. I only know from experience by torching out old rusty rockers and relying on measurements that I thought were accurate, creating a slightly tight door jam that I lived with. Anyway, keep us posted on your progress. One quick note: Aftermarket parts are notorious for needing modification and tuning. They also may not be sealed properly (such as E coat). I prefer to use new metal and not junkyard doors unless they are very straight. Good luck. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] RANGER all the way!!!!

6. migs73soft_top

Thanks again guys!!! This is great info and I appreciate the help very much. I intend to make my vehicle a daily driver (at least in the warmer months) so I am not planning and major suspension or engine mods. I am fortunate that the truck has 81,000 original miles on it and is in really good shape. I simply want to upgrade the comforts somewhat with power windows and locks and new seating. The body has some rust to fix in the usual places but to the best of my knowledge it's nothing major. I have already installed a Kayline Fast-track soft top on it and besides wanted to tweek it's fit a little bit I am very happy with the looks and the ease of use. Rhino line the inside put down the rubber mat in the floor and throw in the stereo and I should be good for summer. Still would like to hear anyone else's experience with seat swaps and doors. Thanks again guys!!!!
    Later,
    Mig

7. migs73soft_top

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Why don't you just get PW regulators and motors and PL actuators and put them in your doors instead of hacking up late model doors?