Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with 81 sub

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Sep 15, 2006.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Hello I'm new here. I have an 81 k10 sub with a 350 4x4 with auto front hubs on a 10bolt. My question for anyone that can help is 2 parts. First how the hell do you get the front rotors off? Do I have to take out the hubs or what? Second I am going to lift the front 3" with new springs and the back 4". So in the rear can I do a 2" block with a 2" add-a-leaf and put shims in to help the rear anglr? I am just not sure if you can use this combo for the rear lift.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

1 - yes, you have to remove the hubs to get to the spindle nuts to remove the hub/rotor assembly.

2 - I'd go with a rear lift spring or a shackle flip

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Shouldn't need to angle the rear axle if you stay with the stock D-shaft, but then you might run out of slip yoke.
    I got a clunk in the rear with the ORD add-a-leaf to level the rear after lift springs, so I took them out and I have the standard Sub sag-butt, only higher.:haha:

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Welcome to CK5! it sounds like a good repair manual would help you out Pulling down the hubs is pretty simple job to the "vetereans" but can be a bit daunting to someone thats never done it go to your Parts store of choice and pic up a repair manual for your truck ..... or you could try E-bay your going to also need torx bits to remove the 5 "bolts" and a Hubsocket for it as well as a Snapring pliers and a set of mechanics pics .

As for the rear try to avoid blocks if possible a shackle flip would be good as it would maintain your current ride
    Good luck and have fun