Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with 87 s-10 4cyl

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by bryguy00b, Nov 3, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok well im buying an 87 with a 2.5 and a 5 speed for 100 bucks..guy claims it ran..but when i went to look at it it wouldnt start..would crank over fine..but wouldnt start..would sputter once and a while but wouldnt pick up..he says it seems ot matter what the weather is like..(wont start in rainy weather) so i told him id give him 100 bucks for it as is..(was asking 350!) anyone got any ideas? fuel pump seems to be working..i can hear it anyway..its feul injected.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    wont start in rainy weather

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is typically a symptom of cracked spark plug wire insulation. High humidity provides just enough extra moisture to provide thousands of paths to ground, other than the spark plug electrode. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A set of wires, distributor cap and rotor would be the first thing to think about replacing.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool..thanx ill get on that!! let ya know how it goes..bascily a tune up lol..

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

put new fuel filter on it also, its at rear of cylidner head cant miss it, its a canister style filter, is hard on pump trying to pump through dirty old filter, will eventually burn up the pump, if its too noisy then its probably on its way out anyways
    i would put 80 bucks into it if you do get it and remove the cylidner head and have the head resurfaced and get head gasket kit fel pro brand and get some washers around .015" thick to put under the rocker bolt shoulders, it will run very strong like a whole new engine, i just did all that tp an 88 one of these, with VERY good results

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx...yea i noticed the fuel filter back there when i was lookin at it..probobly will do that to...very interesting about the head though..ill keep that in mind! thanx!