Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with 97 K2500 3/4 ton (7.4L)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakebdb56, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jakebdb56

jakebdb56 Newbie

Hi my name is jake. This is my first post ever on coloradok5.com and so far i like what i've seen and i was hoping that maybe i could get some help from yall if at all possible.

About 3 weeks ago I bought a 97 k2500 4x4 with the 7.4. I drove it home and everything. All the things that I could see on the truck looked perfectly fine until the day after I went wheeling. The front left cv axle had popped out. So me thinking it wasn't a big deal i went to autozone and got a brand new direct replacement axle. I installed everything correctly. Start it up, back up a little bit and pop there it goes again. Now i had decided to take the truck to a pro to see what was up with the truck. He finds some things wrong, bent crossmember, differential drop arm bent, diff bracket broken, and a few more parts either bent/broken. Knowing that i didn't do anything hard enough on my truck to do that kind of damage I got to thinking. Jason replaced all the parts at a reasonable price and he got everything fixed up nice and neat. But now with the right parts for the truck, the cv shaft is still about 5/8" inch too far out of the boot. All of the adjustments were shifted to the left side where the needed space was and that's how much we still needed to go, 5/8". Took a look at the frame and saw a few possible smalle bends in the frame of the truck. This week I am taking the truck to a frame shop around town to see if there is any serious damage. If anyone knows any other problems that I could be facing with the hyperextended cv axle please let me know. I've never really seen anything like this before. Thanks for your help. If you would like to email me just email me at [Email/]jake@friendswoodtsa.com[/Email] thanks guys

2. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a tweaked frame... Sorry. Oh well, time for a solid axle swap!!!

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like a bent frame as well. If you found all of this damage only 3 weeks after buying the truck, why don't you take it back to the seller? In most states, there are laws that protect buyers from vehicles that the seller has not disclosed major damage. That truck sounds like it was wrecked or beat on really bad and will probably cost you a bunch of money to get right.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like you have a crappy Superlift or Explorer Pro Comp lift kit on there, instead of a high quality lift such as the RCD, Dick Cepek, or Fabtech kits.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you sure you don't have a torsion bar out of adjustment? Otherwise it sounds like it got into a wreck.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Is it lifted? Bent frame, yeah, but that frames pretty freakin beefy to bend.