Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee PLEASE transer case problems

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by MudNurI, Mar 15, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay- friend of mine has a 98 Grand Cherokee- for some reason she has no 4wheel drive- 4lo or 4Hi... 2 wheel works fine.... Brought it to a local garage, 1500 bucks- 900 for the transfer case- 600 to install it-....said NO way to fix it... and its not safe to drive etc..

she bought this almost a year ago- and has never had the 4Hi or 4Lo work- just never bothered her,,, she didnt need it anyway. So now she is thinking, if I have driven it for a year- why cant she now... they say its not safe?
    I know absolutly nothing about these things- but figured someone here would if you need more info- I'll call her and get it... so basically- can it be replaced, repaired, or what not... and can't she just get a used one if it needs to be replaced?

brandy

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Exactly what did the shop say the problem was and all that??? Being a 98 I would kinda be skeptical about the whole tcase being bad. I'm not exactly sure how the 4wd is activated but sounds more like a vac/elec motor problem (which can be spendy to fix). I can take a look on Mitchel and AllData and find out more if need be. Also is this a quadratrac model? Those are like a 4 wd all the time truck.

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I'll call her today and get some more info- its not a quad=track --- it has the actual lever to engange.. I though with 60,000 miles- it shoudl still be okay- BUT who knows. I am trying to find a way to find out what her warranty was- I know my new truck- would still be covered... not sure about a jeep though? Anyone know?

Brandy

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

She is probably SOL unless she has an extended warranty or some kind of powertrain warranty. I haven't been much of a new car buyer, but I know basic warranty is 36k or so... but a lot have powertrain warranty to 60 or something more k.

5. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I run my '95 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0 staight-six and the Selec-Trac case 650 miles a week minimum. I've never had any problems at all..this is the case with 2wd, on-road 4wd, off-road 4hi and 4lo. RENE (tRusty), also has the same case in his smaller Cherokee, no probs either. Sounds like that shop is bogus to me.

6. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I would try a different shop or two to see what they say. Could be something as simple as a vacuum line falling off or a linkage or wire coming loose.