Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with a 700R4 ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennett, Feb 18, 2002.

1. bennett

bennett Registered Member

I have a 700R4 that is acting up on me. I am not familiar enough with a 700r4 to diagnose the problem. I have a 90 fullsize Jimmy,
    I was going 65 down the freeway and the the vehicle just started to slown down, as I gave it more gas it felt like the tranny was slipping. I got off the freeway and tried the other gears and had the same result. Tranny rpm goes high before it will move. Once in motion it goes for a while then rpms go up as it hunts for a "gear" or clutchpack. I tried two tranny shop that said it would be a $1000- $1300 fix. they gave it the 2 minute diagnosis without driving it. Can it be adjusted or am I looking at a rebuild? The k5 has only 89K on it and it drives...
    Any thought would ne appreciated.

Bennett

2. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Is it low on fluid?

I've heard good things about Art Carr automatic transmissions. Might be worth your time to check them out if you need to replace your trans.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.artcarr.com/>http://www.artcarr.com/</a>

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Check the fluid level. While you're doing it, look at it's condition. Many 700's fail around the mileage that you are at, others seems to hum past 200,000 miles.

If there's any question about the condition of the fluid, do a full flush and see if that is all it needed. You should also check the TV cable before heading into a rebuild. After that, pick up a tranny manual and go through the troubleshooting procedure. There are many things that be worked on without taking the transmission out: servo, governor, valve body, solenoid, etc. You only have to pull it if you have fried a clutch pack or something has broken.

<font color=green>Top signs you don't have a real 4x4:
    4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts
    1) Unibody</font color=green>

4. bennett

bennett Registered Member

drove it again this morning and found that second and first works fine, when I shift to drive or overdrive she lets go and starts to spin.

???? what da ya think?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If it isn't low on fluid, then it's time to get out the check book for a rebuild. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. BUSCO

BUSCO Registered Member

This is going to sound stupid, but after a two hour trip to PA.my tranny decided to not shift past second gear.I was meeting two mechanics and the one guy went out to the truck and just snapped the TV cable and everything was fine.He had said the valve hung up and wouldn't let it shift.that was almost three years ago and no problem since.

'87 Full Size.Holley TBI.

7. Blue85

That could actually be a good sign. If it holds 1st and 2nd OK when you are in manual low, then those clutch packs are probably OK. It sounds like maybe you have a stuck valve somewhere. You could take the valve body out yourself (make sure you don't lose any check balls or forget where they go!) or a shop should be able to do it for a few hours labor. If doing it yourself, first get a book that shows diagrams of how each valve is assembled. You can check for sticking withoug taking any of them apart, but if any are stuck, you will want to take them apart (1 valve at a time only!) and clean them.

That said, if they are sticking, it may be a fluke, but it may be that there is a good reason for it and a rebuild is needed anyway.

I would start out by pulling the pan and looking at what's in it. That can tell you a lot. It's also a good time to replace the filter and while you're at it, install a drain plug.

4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts

8. Blue85

Oh yeah, another important thing. Go have the line pressure checked. Tranny shops should have a gauge with a hose long enough to feed in the window and you can check it while you drive. If the pressure is too low, it could cause the problems you are describing. It could just be a restriction somewhere (foreign object, crimped cooler line, etc.) or it could be that the pump or pump valve are messed up. The 700 increases the line pressure in "2", "1" or "R" more than in "D" or "OD", so that could explain your symptom.

You don't always know for sure. Sometimes the true culprit is not the first thing to show up. It has just spit out enough junk to stick a valve or plug a passage so the symptom does not always point you to the root problem.

As a matter of practice, these things are generally just rebuilt. I don't know what percentage of them could get by without it but the reasoning is that if it is not working right, there is a reason and generally, the reason is that something is blowing chunks. Besides, they figure that with a 700 if the rebuild isn't absolutely necessary right now, it probably will be in the near future [​IMG]

4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts

9. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i first went the rebuild route $1k and had it back about a dozen times in 7 months, and then bought a gm factory reman for 1200, and that was about 3 months ago, and all has been well, plus i got a 36 mon 36,000 mile warranty good at any gm dealer
    good luck

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Go to 700r4.com and look at the correct TV cable adjustment procedures, and check the fluid. If its still doing it I'd look into having it rebuilt then or replace it with a GM replacment with the 36 month warranty deal.

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

11. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If you really need to rebuild it, for those prices, I'd order a raptor 700R4 tranny.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]