Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with a cadillac 1974?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by NEOMASTINO2U, Nov 5, 2002.

1. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

hey guys and gals i need some help figureing out what is wrong with my sons car. it is a coupe deville and has a 472 in it well it is not running! the other night it just died on him after it backfired out of the carberauter, now we can't get it started, when it does fire up it runs for a minute then it dies and it sounds like it is missing real bad, pulled the carb and there was fuel puddled under it and the choke is malfunctioning so we disconnected the choke and changed coils and points and the car will start now but wow sounds like it is running on 2 cylinders! so we checked the spark plugs and they were coated in gas so they are shot now. so my question is is there something i am missing, should i be checking something else? i did check the fuel pump and it is definatly pumping gas. so any ideas would be grateful.

kelly

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's possible that the timing chain streched and jumped a tooth. The way you decribed the problem is just what a motor I had did. It was the timing chain. Defently sounds like it's out of time.

3. NEOMASTINO2U

thats what i was thinking it was, i am hoping i am wrong though, its my sons car so he can't afford to fix it if it is something expensive wrong, i figure it has something to definatly do with timing or a possible blown head gasket! god i hope not! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but am going to have him switch out the plugs for new ones, and try my old rochester that is sitting in my garage to see if i can get it running for at least more than 1 minute! its hard becuase i can't work on it so he has to come in and show me things and have me listen to it from inside, today i did get out of bed to go and listen to it and try and walk him through some things but boy i am at my wits end trying to teach him all of this with just me talking him through it. as for a timing chain i have never had to do one so is there any way to check it first to see if it is shot?

kelly

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Bring No.1 clynder up to TDC (top dead center) , remove dist. cap, see where rotor is pointing will give you a rough idea. I wish I was close to ya couse I'd be more then happy to take a look for ya. Do you have anyone in your area that would be willing to come take a look-see ????

5. NEOMASTINO2U

i have a couple of guys that live near hear but i don't think they know much about cadillacs. i already had him buy a chiltons book and i just sent him to the store in my blazer to get new plugs, i am hopeing that the soaked plugs are the problem but now its going to be trying to figure out why they got soaked with gasoline. and i know he is getting tired of running inside all the time to show me stuff! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kelly

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A engine is a engine, Caddy included. Same method for check them all with the older non computerized motors. Pretty basic stuff. If you can work on a Chevy, you can do a Caddy. Hope I'm wrong, but really sounds to me like either timing chain or cam gear on dist. Most likely timing chain. Fairly easy fix. Just pain in the arse to do. If it is the chain, I like Cloyes true double rollor chains, or gear drive (love the noise they make) Only bad thing is parts for Caddy's can be expencive.

7. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a timing issue to me. I have a 1973 Cadillac, ran great, then the other evening it started missing real bad, I could barely keep it running. It didn't start as well as it normally did either. I had to give it a lot of gas to keep it running.

All I had to do was put new points in it, that cured the problem. Did you check point gap/dwell, and ignition timing? I've got 87K miles on mine, original timing chain may be stretched somewhat by now, but it still runs fine.

Do a good double check on those points. As for the fuel puddling, that's probably just from gassing it so much to keep it running, and because all cylinders aren't firing, it's not all getting ignited.