Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with a clunk

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schmuck, Jan 14, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

when i stop there is a clunk coming from the back of the truck i can feel it also its when the truck returns from its foward momentum that it happens and its not all the time usually under harder braking i had a seal leak on the rear axle tube and gear oil got all over the brakes so i hosed them off with brake cleaner but never got around to replaceing them could that be it or should i look elsewhere like bad bushings ?thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

First let me welcome you to ColoradoK5.
    This board has been running non stop for over two years and most of that data base is still available . In that time EVERY question you could ever come up with has been answer about 50 times.
    The fastest way to answer your question is to use the search button. Select all forms and 6 months for the date and I can guarentee if you use the key words Thump, clunk and bang at least 50 hits.
    I didn't check your bio but I bet you have a 81 up with a 208 case. They are famous for a bang, clunk. It's the splines in the tail shaft of the tranny. Broken tranny mount will also cause the problem.
    Asf for your brakes....I would recomend replacing the shooes. Gear oil contaminates the pads and causes the friction to be different. That will cause brake pull and other irritating problems. Gear oil is also flamable if it get's hot enough so there is the potential that you get thos shoes hot enough to catch fire. Fix the seal and replace the shoes on the rear axle, yes both sides so that you don't run into any brake pull problems.

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

already changed the tranny mount and i fixed the seal leak over a year ago so i dont think fire is a problem i will try a search thanks /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Do you have rear blocks? Mine performs a similar clunk and I have came to the conclusion it is axle wrap from starting and stopping.

5. bluboti

bluboti Registered Member

Fixed my clunk, by removing rear driveshaft and lubing splines with teflon grease.

6. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

no i dont have rear blocks. ill try the teflon greasethanks