Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP?? With a Dog GONE Steering ARM!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Ck1500, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

i have a 1987 K-5 Blazer , that i am currently trying to rework, it was stock suspension, so i decided to get over my fear of heights and lift it, i decided to go with a BDS 6" liift kit, and after getting the rear done, i was tackling the front, and encountered a slight issue, i removed the drag link and the 3 nuts that hold the steering arm in place, but could not free it from truck?? after doosing it with lubricant, it still does not budge??? and i am trying to save the studs? anyone ran into this? please help!
    thanks

Marc

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Get a really large hammer and start beating the crap out of it [​IMG]!!! You have to hammer it from the top because it has cone washers, if you hit it from the bottom you'll make it tighter. Happy hammering! [​IMG]</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Beat with 2 hammers, one from each side.

Heat with torch, sometimes the swelling will loosen it up.

SOAK with penetrating oil.

good luck

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

4. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

On my '76 Blazer, the factory arm was frozen on there pretty good. Ended up having to heat it with an acetylene torch and hit with a hammer and work the cone washers out while hot. This worked, but the flame wasted the upper balljoint, so I had to replace it.

The cone washers are what's holding it in. If you can get the tip of a screwdriver set into the notch of the washer and drive it around, loosening it (counterclockwise), it will help. Make sure not to damage the threads of the studs though. I had to get the cone washers out first, and then the arm came right off. As mentioned previously, beating upwards on the arm tightens the cone washers, so I had to knock the arm up a little, and then back down, which exposed the top edge of the washers for me to get at them.

Hope this helps!

Richard
    Raleigh, NC
    '90 K-5 Blazer - stock, daily driver
    '76 K-5 Blazer - 14-bolt FF, 4.10's, locked front and rear, 36's, SM465/NP205

5. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

thanks everybody for the input!!! i finally, suceeded, with only a few cuss words, and a little blood, thanks again

Marc

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I figure if a project isn't worth bleeding on, it's not worth working on.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD