Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with a lift kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76 jimmy Az, Mar 14, 2000.

1. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

I have a 76 Gmc Jimmy with shock suspension. I am interesting in lifting my truck 4 inches. I got a quote on a rancho kit and it was $563. that is too much money for me now. Do i have to add leaf springs when i lift my truck? how much more likley is my tuck to flip over with a 4 inch lift? and what about this " sag" thing in the rear, how can i overcome this if i lift it

2. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

superlift makes a nice inexpensive kit. I think rocky mountain had the best deal on it. alot less than the rancho quote. 4"lift and add aleafs will solve your blazer sag. mine did it and we added add a leafs at first then when we added the blocks for the 6" kit we put in it the sag went away go figure. 4" you are not looking at that big of a difference in height so roll over isnt much of an issue. another way to overcome the sag is have the springs re-arched.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Goto http://www.offroaddesign.com and get a Tuff Country EZ-Ride 4" suspension. It's only $240.00 for a front springs/Block rear kit. This means you replace your front springs and add blocks under the rear ones.

You can get new springs for the rear also, but that's more expensive. Many guys in this forum have gone with the rear shackle flip conversion, which means that you cut a hole on the rear hangers and install the shackles upside-down. That's supposed to give you about 4" of lift on lots of flex. You can use the stock springs with this setup or go with taller ones for even more lift. Check out Corey 88K5's page (look for his name on any of his posts and click on it. His profile should have a link to his page) He has detailed procedures on the shackle-flip conversion.

Hope this helps.

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    If you want to get a inexpensive lift, and are not too worried about articulation. Try a Add-a-leaf. The only thing is they are pretty bouncy. A add-a will net you about 2", you can throw a body lift on top of that you will have enough lift to sport larger tires and get the stance you are looking for. All this for about $200! The leafs will cost you about $50 each, and the body lift will set you back about $100.

Add-a's are pretty interesting to install. Well on the front anyway. The body lift is nothing short of a pain in the arse. YOu need to remove bumpers and all that good stuff like that. While you are at it, put in a poly kit. I guarentee that you will never want to do it again.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

Thanx for your left, now what do u guys recommend a block kit lift or a shackle flip. IS anyone saver than the other? HOw hard is it to do a shacle flip with the kit from offroad design?
    Thanx

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

shackle fli wasnt even an optionwhe I bought my kit. The blocks seem to be fine. No slippage no breakage.

7. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

76 jimmy - don't forget that a 4" lift will set you back for one of the above options PLUS new shocks all around.

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com