Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with a rushed purchase

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Dec 29, 2006.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I have some questions I need answered by tomorrow morning and I'd really prefer not spending all night searching.

I have a chance at buying an '86 3500 4x4. Very good price. Preferably I'll make the deal right away before it is sold. Can you guys PLEASE help.

Guy tells me it's a 350/400/? any idea what to expect as far a T case goes? I'm thinking it would likely be a 205 or 208, are the two easily distinguished? I can just look at mine to see if it's a 205 I suppose.

I need to ID a D60 or the deal is pointless. What are some sure fire details?

Does it matter is the D60 is King Pin or Ball Joint?

Can I put a '76 Blazer on the '86 3500 frame? Long wheel base by the looks of it.

I know this is a lot of noob questions answered by searching, and I am currently doing so, but like I said I don't want to waste all night online. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  2. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Edited Updates

I found this link IDing D60's. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180734&highlight=id+dana+60

Apparently I'm looking for the following:

1) Kingpin not BJ's
    2) 3 U bolts and 2 bolts into housing on passenger side instead of 4 U bolts
    3) 60F stamped into front driver side of housing

Does this sound right, any debate?

Oh and this link also mentions that all D60's are Kingpin, is this accurate?

This link seems to answer Kingpin question http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167372&highlight=id+dana+60

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't recall them caling them 3500's that early , it should be a K30 . If its a true 1 ton , it would of been D60 kingpin from the factory with a th400/np205 slip yoke combo . Some did get smallblocks for fleet discounts , savings , rebates , etc. so GM could make CAFE numbers look better on paper .

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah my mistake on that one, that was what the owner called it, he obviously doesn't know much about the truck, his answer to "what T Case does it have" was "it's on the floor with 2Hi and 4Hi". I love those answers $$$$

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

If its a GMC its a K3500. If its a Chevy its a K30.

If it's an original, cvilian, unaltered 1 ton, it will have a 205. All the civilian 1 tons got 205's. Easy to tell apart from a 208. 205 is cast iron, 208 is aluminum. The 205 shift lever will also be sticking straight up out of the floor. 208 shift lever leans towards the front of the truck and has a gated shifter housing thing screwed to the floor of the truck.

You've got 60 ID down. No worries there.

You cannot put a blazer body on anything but a blazer frame without alot of work- moving mounts etc. Not worth the trouble. Don't even consider. Easier to swap the 1 ton stuff to your K5.

All D60's are NOT kingpin. The later ones are ball joint. If the axle in the truck you're gonna go check out is the original, it IS what you want. It's king pin and thats what you want, not ball joints.

This is THE article to read if ya wanna learn aabout 60's-

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

Good luck and happy hunting. ;)

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

as above, and should be the 400 tranny also, in that truck.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Great info! Thanks everyone. One last concern that I forgot to mention, but I think I have under control. The guy says it has "some type of posi" I worried it might be a Gov loc.

To ID the gov loc;

with truck off the ground, spin a tire, if the other spins in the opposite direction before it starts spinning in the same direction it's a gov loc.

sound about right?

8. 76zimmer

gov loc kicks in when a 20 rpm difference is noticed in the differential. I think it holds up well in the 14bff though.

G80 glovebox option code

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

NICE! That is good info I never thought of checking for, thanks. So the 14b gov loc isn't so bad? Hmmm I was thinking that might be a deal breaker depending on what the guy will go down to.

10. Zeus33rd

Not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of. A gov-loc carrier will NOT accept a Detriot locker. You have to start with an open carrier to get a Detriot. You can still weld the piss out of a gov-loc though. If you have a gov-loc, I'd always keep an eye out for an open carrier in the mean time. The gov-locs have had a problem with spontanteous explosion under normal driving conditions. lol "Gov-Bomb". Years ago I had an '85 K30 that this happened to me with. Just cruisin down the road at like 40mph....not on the gas or accelerating, or on the brakes. Truck just coasted to a stop. Like it was shifted into nuetral. Thats not to say every gov-loc on the planet is gonna blow up...I'm sure there are millions of them still in service.

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm not in need of the rear end anyhow, I just figured it would add value to the deal. I can always weld it for a future project or look for an open carrier in the meantime like you said. Really this is all about the d60 but maybe a second rig will come out of it. If it indeed has a d60/400/205 combo I'll be taking it home, if not, we'll see how low I get him down.

If anyone is interested in checking it out here is the link. I'm a little embarrassed to show you guys this given what you get for the same money down in the southern states, but this is what WE call a good deal. Better when he takes my offer LOL!

http://toronto.craigslist.org/car/251163280.html

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like others stated, king pins will clearly state a D60. If you are familiar with them in general, you should be able to tell just by the housing size.

Like Jethro said, not all 60's have king pins, my Ram has a Balljoint 60 as do all newer 60 equipped rigs, but doesn't apply in this case.

It will be a 205 with a fixed yoke, not a slip yoke.

A govlok in a 14B isn't nearly as bad as one in a 10b. They are fairly strong and either work good, or are worn out.

Jump on that K30 if you like it, I waited 3 years to find the right K30 for me.

13. 76zimmer

let us know how you do on this.....

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

K20. Oh well. The guy wouldn't believe me, told me I was just saying that to get a better deal. :rolleyes: I offered him $40 for the tailgate, which is about the only salvageable sheet metal on the rig. He declined my offer, since he wants to sell it complete! LOL! I could have punched a ball peen hammer through the frame rails. But at least I'm armed with the knowledge for next time. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

15. Zeus33rd

Learning/knowledge= Good. :wink1:

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah yes, the ol' K30 adertised somewhere but when you go to look at it find it as a K20. You aren't the first to experience this...;)